Wood burning stove Flue question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian83

Oct 26, 2016
ohio
stove.png
(i removed a firebrick)
save1.jpg

Hello all. I recently purchased a high valley model 1600 wood stove. I'm pretty new to wood burning and after purchasing this stove, getting it home and unboxing the stove it looks like the flue was half blocked by the insulation blanket and fire bricks. I was just curious if this is normal or if there is a certain amount of the flue that is allowed to be blocked. I took some pictures and drew a rough drawing of what the stove looks like. I'll be more then happy to answer any other question of take anymore pictures if someone can give me a definite answer. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any experience with this kind of rear vent stove, but trying to think it out... The smoke probably hits the firebrick, which is really a baffle, that sit on top of the secondary air tubes. Then it goes up and over the baffle and ceramic wool and heads out over the top into the pipe.

I can see it being important that the firebrick and blanket are pushed up against the rear of the stove so that the smoke flow is right. It doesn't seem right that half the pipe is blocked.

If it's not something obvious like the baffle brick aren't in the proper location on the tubes, I'd say it's time for a call to the dealer or manufacturer.

Does the manual give any diagram or clarifications as to this?

I don't have any experience with this kind of rear vent stove, but trying to think it out... The smoke probably hits the firebrick, which is really a baffle, that sit on top of the secondary air tubes. Then it goes up and over the baffle and ceramic wool and heads out over the top into the pipe.

I can see it being important that the firebrick and blanket are pushed up against the rear of the stove so that the smoke flow is right. It doesn't seem right that half the pipe is blocked.

If it's not something obvious like the baffle brick aren't in the proper location on the tubes, I'd say it's time for a call to the dealer or manufacturer.
Hey Velvetfoot you're right the bricks sit on top of the secondary tubes I think ideally smoke is supposed to flow up to the bricks then to the outside edges, up an around and over the insulation and exhaust out. The fire bricks only fit in one way and i've pushed the insulation as far back as it would go. I'm thinking im gonna have to contact manufacturer and see if this is the design plan, as you said. Just wanted to see if a more experienced person had ever ran across something like this.Thanks for the reply.

@mol1jb I've searched through instruction manual with little luck. Nothing really addressed an issue like this which is usually my luck anyways lol.

Will there be a decently tall liner on this flue? If so I wouldn't alter it. For sure leave the firebrick in place.

Will there be a decently tall liner on this flue? If so I wouldn't alter it. For sure leave the firebrick in place.
I personally don't feel it's right to have half the cross sectional area of the flue obstructed. I still maintain the manufacturer's intentions should be determined.

Hey all sorry for the late reply. @begreen "Will there be a decently tall liner on this flue?" 15 ft is the length of the flue liner i bought do you think that's sufficient? I've tried contacting high valley twice now with no response from them. You guys think I should try burning in it and check the draft on it?

That is the minimum but it could work fine. Yes, it's worth trying it out with good, dry wood. Maybe wait until outdoor temp is below 50º.

Hey again guys. Finally got hold of high valley they said the stove was fine it was indeed made like that. I had never seen a flue half blocked like that so i wanted to get the opinion of some people who've been using stoves for a while. And there's many knowledgeable folks on this site ....so what I'm trying to say is thanks for the replies. Take care.

Keep us posted on how the stove burns for you. We need another steel stove alternative for rear vent fireplace installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.