1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wood burning too fast with the damper almost shut

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ucanhackett, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ucanhackett

ucanhackett New Member

Loc:
    Wester, NY USA
    What could be causing my wood to burn fast with damper almost shut? I have US Blaze stove and we put a manuel damper in the pipe when we first got it as the one in the stove let in too much air. The chimney was cleaned yesterday and now my wood is burining fast with the damper almost shut. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Not sure what a US Blaze Stove is, but if it's drawing hard, close the flue damper all the way. It can't block the pipe completely. There are holes in the damper plate.

What kind of flue is on the stove?
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Welcome to the forum ucanhackett.

Yes, with the flue damper closed that will restrict the air flow so the stove should not burn too fast. With you being a new wood burner I am wondering what you consider burning too fast? Is it just that the stove is throwing too much heat? Answer then is to put less wood in, especially this time of the year. Small fires and you can burn them hot but put too much wood in and then you are trying to slow the stove down. It doesn't work too well and you'll end up with even more problems. If the wood is marginal then by trying to smother the fire you will end up with some big time creosote problems....and you do not want that.

New wood burners: check your chimney at least once per month.
  4. polaris

polaris Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    KY.
    Is this a modern EPA rated stove? If it is not and isn't airtight then you might be able to overcome what benefit you are getting from closing down the damper through air comming in from the ungasketed joints in the stove. This is just pure speculation though without knowing what kind of stove you have.
    Joe
  5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Does it have a ash pan, if it does make sure it's shut.

zap
  6. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Principality of Pontinha
    Sounds like you've got a leak. When I've got a roaring fire and I shut the air off I can hear the flames sucking for air. There's only so much air my 15' chimney will pull. If you've got a long chimney that big draft can pull REALLY hard.
  7. Wood Heat Stoves

Wood Heat Stoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nevada City, California
    use smoke (insense stick) trace around door and glass gaskets, welds and the whole firebox to see where all the "extra" air is entering firebox
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.