Wood Cart

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
Hoping to cut a few steps off my handling process, I bought myself a firewood cart off craigslist. It's about 5' long, 16" wide and the handles are just over 3' tall. I added a little ramp to a pallet and move it with the tractor out to the stacks. Fill 'er up, then to the front of the house where it just barely clears my stone wall. Up another small ramp, through the front door and into the living room, where it gets unloaded.

I think with a full load it should replenish my storage nook about 2/3 full. Previously I was using a wheelbarrow or the machine to bring loads next to the house, then carrying it in with those plastic storage bins. This saves a step in the process and I never have to left more than a piece or two at a time.

I like the cart! I like the wood storage niche even more! To me it is not how hard you work, but how smart. If you can cut some steps out of the process then all the better.

You might want to roll the cart over cardboard so it doesn't scratch up the floor.

I, load up a 4x6 covered trailer, back at the wood piles, then park it by my back door, 20' from the insert. With your tractor, you could load up a bigger trailer, park it and be set for a couple of weeks.

The cart has rubber wheels so all good on the floors. I have no problems getting it close to the house... it's that last 20', making trip after trip lugging totes full of firewood that no fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.