Wood check

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodzilla

Dec 23, 2007
Mid-Michigan
1700 sq.ft. heat varies 62 low end to 74 before bed time.
So far used just under 3 cord.
Half elm half ash.
How 'bout anyone else?

that's not a localized problem!

I've used about 3 1/2 cord, but it was mostly the over-seasoned/punky stuff that i needed
to clear to get to the good stuff. I still have about 7 cords of primo oak and maple : )

1600 sq ft part of the house I heat with the Resolute stay a toasty 70-80 down stairs and 65-70 upstairs. I have used about 2 cord so far this winter burning nights and weekends. LOTS of snow this year. I have 6 ft plow piles lining our street and an 8' high pile of snow from snow blowing in my yard for the kids to snowboard down. I have to put a fence on the driveway side of the pile as it is getting too high and a fall might really hurt the little guys. I have about 3 cord left. I was hoping for a mild winter so I would have 2 solid 2 year old cord of wood for next year. I have my truck load of logs that I will start burning late next year as well.

Just replowed the driveway from the foot of snow Thursday.
Sounds like I'm on track with you guys as far as usage.
First year burning, so just curious.
Wish I had all the wood you guys have in reserve....got about 3/4 of a full cord left.
Looking forward to spring, but I will miss burning! It has made this winter go by so quickly.

24/7 burning since around mid Oct. bout 2 1/2 cords 4 cords left also our first year

It would make you guys mad to hear what I've burned. But this summer, you'd hate to see my cooling bills! BTW 75* upstairs now, 80* in the basement 45* outside temp, loking at 35 in the AM..

Jason

jtb51b said:
It would make you guys mad to hear what I've burned. But this summer, you'd hate to see my cooling bills! BTW 75* upstairs now, 80* in the basement 45* outside temp, loking at 35 in the AM..

Jason

I'm with you. I think I'm through 2/3 cord (including kindling) as I only burn evenings and weekends.

High of 66 here tomorrow.

Burning 24/7, heating 1800 sq ft. 2 cords of Oak burned up so far.

I need a newer stove than my old Russo. I've gone through over 6 cords so far. Since the beginning of Nov. I've turned the oil burner three times when the temp went below 12 degrees. That was to keep the pipes in the basement from freezing. Wish I had all oak or elm. I have a lot of swamp maple & it is as light as balsa wood & burns as quickly.
Al

Burning 24 / 7 since mid November. About 3 cords here for a 2400 sq ft house. Mostly red oak and beech with some gum thrown in for laughs!

Been a mild winter overall. The best news is I used to burn about 5 tanks of oil each winter. 275 gallons / tank @ 3.25 a gallon, ouch!!

In the 1.5 years since I got the stove I have burned 1/4 of one tank!! Take that oil barons, Exxon, and you G5 flying sheiks!!

I have about 4.5 cords still split and stacked, about a cord split but needing to be stacked and about 1.5 cords to split. Should be a nice afternoon outside today!

Stay warm,

JD in SE PA

jeff in pa said:
Been a mild winter overall. The best news is I used to burn about 5 tanks of oil each winter. 275 gallons / tank @ 3.25 a gallon, ouch!!

In the 1.5 years since I got the stove I have burned 1/4 of one tank!! Take that oil barons, Exxon, and you G5 flying sheiks!!

I'll drink to that!

Caz said:
I've used about 3 1/2 cord, but it was mostly the over-seasoned/punky stuff that i needed
to clear to get to the good stuff. I still have about 7 cords of primo oak and maple : )

OOPS, make that 9 cords left. I forgot about 2 more cords i have stacked out in the woods : )

I've been burning since late Oct. My 3rd year at this. Burn mostly mixed hard woods but I added red oak this year to see how it burns. Ordered 2 cords mixed and 1 cord red oak. I had maybe a cord left from last year. Have about 1 cord of mix and 1/2 cord of oak still out there. I burn from 6 a.m. until about midnight - sometimes later depending on how cold it is outside. This winter we have had pretty cold temps here.

I envy you guys who have room for lots of wood. My load this year wasn't well seasoned when it was delivered. Guy told me it would be okay by the fall ( I order late spring.) . Trying a new place this year and will check it before he dumps it on my lawn. I only have room to store about 3-4 cords and even doing that my husband hates seeing it out there. It is stacked neatly... His plea is "No more wood"...He does enjoy the heat it produces when he is home from work so maybe this year he will grumble less. I would love to have more though because then I wouldn't have to worry about green loads. Just stack them behind the seasoned stuff and wait a year.

I enjoy fiddling around with my wood and scavenging for kindling.

Sounds like that oak lives up to its reputation. Gotta get me some of that. Anyone want to trade some for elm? C'mon...please....won't hold my breath.

2000 FT Colonial. Wood furnace allway 72-76. Between 2.5-3 cords so far. Poplar, Sweet Gum and Oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.