Wood/coal furnace and pellets/biologs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wysdom

Aug 17, 2008
NH
Hi, I have a Thermopride wood/coal furnace. It probably has about 4 years of burning that was done in it. With the price of oil I was thinking of burning pellets then I heard of these bio logs which seem like pellets made into logs. Can someone advise me on this? How many tons = a cord? Trying to figure out how many tons I would need. Cord wood is too messy (and buggy) and coal is just too dirty. thanks in advance

I just ran the numbers for another poster in this thread:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/21538/

However, do be careful. There is a lot more energy in some of these products than you might think. It is possible to overfire with incorrect loading or in the case of a compressed log like the Prest-Logs too much fuel. For sure, check with the manufacturers of the logs and your furnace before using them to get better guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.