Wood/Coal Furnace ?s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hef1963

Dec 7, 2008
Green Bay,WI
I have a Thermopride WC-27 wood/coal furnace.It also is connected to a Thermopride fuel oil furnace. The damper motor on the side of wood/coal furnace(Honeywell M836) is not working.Was replaced about 10-12 years ago.Do these motors go out quite often?I know they are pricey.Are they hard to install?Is it an option to use the furnace without this working?Also, was thinking of different options to replace this furnace.That is why i am wondering about sticking more $ into it?Getting tired of cutting wood,coal is not an option,and fuel oil for this old farm house costs a fortune!

Forgot to mention also,that every time I call somebody to work on it, all they do is say it is outdated and should be replaced.They tell me that parts are no longer available for it and charge me an arm and a leg to look at it.That is why I am looking at my options and wondering what to do?anybody out there still have and use one of these furnaces?
Thanks!

Just had a New Yorker WC90 installed and experimenting with wood and coal, both. Had wood, planned wood boiler. Got a ton and a half of old dirty coal off the ground beside a woman's house. Her coal bin collapsed and I grabbed it. Coal doesn't really have a shelf life, from what I hear it took a million years to make it, and it lasts at least 10 percent as long before it spoils. ;)

So far, I have to admit I like coal better. Idles easier, less smoke, less mess, no creosote.

I'd certainly look at a stoker boiler and check on local sources of bagged coal if I were doing it over again...

Tired of cutting wood, and coal not an option? Thought of a small nuclear reactor? Don't know of any other options, really. Besides oil or natural gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.