Wood/Coal Tax Credit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
I've been debating this back and forth. I have seen a ton of stove manufacturers and furnace manufacturers where they are qualifying for the tax credit. As far as I know, coal is not a biomass. So if wood/coal can be burned in a unit and the wood is 75% efficient on the LHV, will it qualify? I've seen it in the record that it can be a buyer beware when it comes to credits, to consult a tax advisor. Some manufacturers claiming its not their responsibilty if it the buyer can't get the credit. Whats some of your thoughts? I know there was some talk here not too long ago about coal so I was curious. An example is someone walks into a stove shop. They say they burn wood and buy a stove, then take it home and burn coal in it. Is it wrong?

The bio-mass credit does not cover coal burners.If you buy a Energy King Ek385 add on furnace to make it eligible you can not put on the shaker grates or forced air draft.But whos going to stop them from buying them after the sale. Also the bio mass tax credit got lumped together with the energy effiencey program so you can only receive up to $1500.00 in total for a tax credit.So if you bought new windows for $5000.00 you can not claim a bio mass tax credit.So get the advice from the tax guy on the credits you think you can get.

Thats what I read about the Energy King. There is a manufacturer that has wood/coal units and they are also listed as wood/coal on the certificate. I was told I was being anal about my thoughts behind it. When it comes down to recieving a 30% tax credit, someone has the right to be anal. But I wanted to hear more on others thoughts. My thoughts on the credit is nothing about coal. So I saw it as a loophole. To be able to claim a 30% tax credit is more of a benefit to the manufacturer than the buyer in terms of sales. It just looks good on paper. I know I qualify, but this was for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.