Wood--->coal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
I am considering moving from an eko40 to either an outdoor boiler that can burn either wood or coal (Portage and Main perhaps), or a coal stoker (coal gun or similar) with a hopper. Any suggestions or thoughts on these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plug them a lot, when coal comes up here, but definitely check out the forums @ http://nepacrossroads.com Ton of great guys, and coal info. I switched to coal in my New Yorker boiler years ago, and have been very satisfied, once I got past the learning curve...

I can't give any real information other then checking out nepacrpasroads which has already been mentioned. I bought my furnace with the idea that I wanted to be able to switch to coal anytime should I run out of free wood or become unable to cut for what ever reason. This is my first year with my new furnace and haven't needed to switch to coal yet. And I don't foresee needing to for at least a few years. But I have to admit it does wonders for my piece of mind. Just knowing that I can burn all I want to. If I run out of seasoned wood I'll go buy coal. I will say there are certainly quirks to coal like wood. Where it's from hard or soft what size etc. pretty much no one recommends burning soft anymore the dirt cheap stuff. It's full of ash, smells terrible and, and rots your chimney. Also you can't burn wood and coal together like old timers did in a metal chimney. And before you definitely make the switch call around your area and see what bull coal costs from whom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk