Wood consumption in my PH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On this, I thought that you could actually get more heat from burning with a proper draft speed since the hot flue gases have more time in the stove to be exchanged to the stove. So a higher stove temp could be achieved and held with lower wood consumption. That high draft speed may be sucking the heat right away from the stove.

Sounds like the PH is the proper type of heater for such a large heat demand. Those brick chimneys look gigantic.

Maybe, but he reported his flue probe never gets above 500, so it's hard to say he's sending much heat up the flue. I think the extra draft just works like having the draft setting open more for those with normal drafts. Namely, more heat.

HollowHill, we are still chipping away at improvements, doing a lot of the work ourselves. In my book, the roof and foundation are the imperative points. Then stop the drafts - spray foam is a modern material, incongruous with the historical building materials, but it is a non-damaging bandaid that can easily be undone later by you or some other restorer. All my new windows are sealed in place with foam, so it isn't just for temporary patches. In hindsight, during the years before we could afford the windows I should have filled the pockets for the sash weights with foam. I don't think the to-do list ever ends. Now our slate roof needs work, and someone had the gall to suggest that our chimneys need to be rebuilt from the roof line up within 10 years. Sigh.

Here's where we are today (PH is running mid-load at 500 stovetop on right hand chimney, can't see the liner cap from here, no smoke (still seems like voodoo)). The house work is a multi-year plan. We've got a color difference on the scaffolding side due to some siding going on last fall, and then more this summer.
View attachment 82495

Wow! Love the house, it's looking great. Where'd you get those windows? 12 over 12s are what I need as well. Is that a hipped roof? That's what my house has and the chimneys used to be located where yours are, I've re-instated one of them (kaching, kaching). That's great that you can do the work, I haven't got the requisite skills. Yeah, both my roof and foundation/sills need work desperately. Then new windows and siding. Then redo the mudroom/woodshed and garage. Then the barn needs work. Its starting to look like its going to be a race as to who keels over first, the house or me...

Wow! Love the house, it's looking great. Where'd you get those windows? 12 over 12s are what I need as well. Is that a hipped roof? That's what my house has and the chimneys used to be located where yours are, I've re-instated one of them (kaching, kaching). That's great that you can do the work, I haven't got the requisite skills. Yeah, both my roof and foundation/sills need work desperately. Then new windows and siding. Then redo the mudroom/woodshed and garage. Then the barn needs work. Its starting to look like its going to be a race as to who keels over first, the house or me...

The windows are from Paradigm, a company in Maine. They are vinyl, double pane (triple available), with the dividers only between the glass. Many, many of hours of angst spent on that decision. Close to 40 new windows, so we had to make concessions. I see on their website they now offer different exterior profiles to better match different styles. They also did the two palladian windows (hidden by the scaffolding) to match the original. We replaced a 15' section of foundation and a 24' section of sill. One side left to redo, and I know it has more sill work in store for us. Yes, a hipped roof. It is slate and high, so I stay off it. I wish I had a photo of the liner being installed - the sweep who did it was fearless. I'll be sure to catch him up there for stove #2's liner. We did one side of the house completely on our own, hired a little help for the next side, and more for the current side because we are so slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.