Wood Cook Stove conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a kid growing up I spent time in my aunt's kitchen. She used a wood cooking stove the year around and it did an awesome cooking job. I have many fond memories of sitting in her kitchen soaking up the warmth of that stove while I waited for a meal to be ready. I can't begin to imagine defeating that function to convert her stove to a space heater. Even my grandmother had a wood stove, not quite as fancy as my aunt's, that provided all required meal preps for her home. Again it was all about cooking but it sure made for a cozy place to wait for supper. She had what my wife would call a harvest kitchen. There was plenty of room to hang out and do whatever struck your fancy while the other function of the space was meal preparation. Both of these cook stoves were well over 5 feet long and had a nice and readily controlled cook top. Since the stoves were focused on cooking needs they did respond well to a need to change heat levels, so as a primary heat source they might have been lacking, but that did not detract from their charm or their ability to heat a space and make it feel warm and inviting.
Here are a few pictures of the antique cookstove that will be in the kitchen of our handcrafted log home . It will be functional and will be used for occasional cooking and additional heat . I had thoughts of converting it to gas but I need to see how it works with wood first.

marks phone clean up 081.jpg marks phone clean up 078.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a nice looking old girl Mark.

That's a classic beauty. You should get a lot of enjoyment from running that stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.