Wood Cook Stove Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

I have a concrete floor in the room I want to install a new wood cookstove. If I paint the floor and install the cookstove will that not fly, as being considered a combustible floor because of the paint? Is there a non combustible paint available? Other wise I'm looking at laying stone on top of the whole floor, and the wife wants to throw an area rug on the floor later, so not much of the stone will be seen at the end. That's why I considered just painting the floor and then the area rug. Thanks!

You could stain the floor or just use a latex paint. I don't think this will be much of a problem.

BeGreen said:
You could stain the floor or just use a latex paint. I don't think this will be much of a problem.
Is latex paint considered a non combustible by code?

look up concrete wash, we had this for 12months in our new house, very easy to put on its that thin (more of a stain) that it wouldnt be combustible. If its more of a long term thing look up acid wash.

corrupt said:
look up concrete wash, we had this for 12months in our new house, very easy to put on its that thin (more of a stain) that it wouldnt be combustible. If its more of a long term thing look up acid wash.
OK thanks!

Nor I, nor do I think this is an issue. I had an old wood cook stove on a wooden floor many years back. Maybe not a good idea, it should have had an ember pan underneath it. But the heat on the bottom was very low.

Once I have the carpet glue scraped off the concrete I'm using and orbital sander with 40 grit paper to clean up everything. It's only a 10x12 room open to our kitchen. I'm thinking latex paint and then the wife wants to get a throw rug to put down. So to put nice stone down and hardly see any of the stone, I think paint will be fine. Doing like a Merlot, that dark brown red. We like the country theme. It is a 1840's farm house. Then I'll just keep the rug back more than 18 inches from the front of the stove firebox door. Bought an Esse Iron Heart cook stove from Obadiah's.. Nice folks! I recommend them highly!

If you want to be extra cautious, you might try this stuff http://www.hytechceramics.com/flameguard.html
I could find nothing in NFPA 211 addressing painting of a concrete slab used for a hearth. The IBC Chapter 6, Interior Finishes, does not address paint on the surface either.

[quote author="tfdchief" date="1301939488"]If you want to be extra cautious, you might try this stuff http://www.hytechceramics.com/flameguard.html
I could find nothing in NFPA 211 addressing painting of a concrete slab used for a hearth. The IBC Chapter 6, Interior Finishes, does not address paint on the surface either.[/quote ] Thanks for looking into the paint situation. I'll check out the flame guard site. That seems reasonably priced for the additive.....Charlie

Could the reason that NFPA 211 has nothing be because like stove paint, once it has dried/cured its no longer combustible? Just thinking out load. This is an interesting topic.

I was just concerned as to doing the right thing as to pass code! Esse stove company actually shows firewood stored under the bottom of the stove. Not that I would sleep and chance that! I appreciate everyone's interest, info and concern.

xclimber said:
I was just concerned as to doing the right thing as to pass code! Esse stove company actually shows firewood stored under the bottom of the stove. Not that I would sleep and chance that! I appreciate everyone's interest, info and concern.

Love this stove, I'm a bit envious. Please continue posting about your experiences with this beauty.

BeGreen said:
xclimber said:

Love this stove, I'm a bit envious. Please continue posting about your experiences with this beauty.
I got alot of good feed back from different people who have used the stove, one being a green center up in Canada. They tested lots of wood cook stoves and said hands down, it was the best they tested and was used by many people at their green place. I'll keep ya posted. Almost 800 pounds should be fun getting it into the house. I'll try to take off as much as I can to reduce some weight. It will get us a little more independent on the farm. Things don't look great for the future , need I say more. Again thanks for your input......Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.