Wood Cook Stove Oven NOT Heating Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simmonds1970

Oct 13, 2015
Oregon
Hello. I purchased a Boru wood cook stove, the Ellis Cook Stove and we just recently had it installed. It's beautiful and really built well. The issue we are having is trying to get the oven up to temp. I've only been able to get it to just over 200 degrees, even though the burner plates on top will boil water easily. It has two dampers on the fire box door, one below the fire and one above, and a lever for sending the heat directly up the chimney and heat plates, or to divert the heat around the oven before it exits the chimney. The old chimney pipe also had a damper but the installer did not add one to the new chimney pipe. Closing the lever to direct heat to the oven only makes a small difference in oven temp. If I look in the firebox, I can still see most of the flame escaping straight up the chimney even with the lever in the oven position. Do I need to install a chimney damper to keep the draft light enough to allow the heat to circulate the oven! Thanks

Welcome to the forums. That is a great-looking stove. I don't know your stove, but it is possible that lack of a damper is the problem. In using a much older (and probably quite different) cook stove, I have found that reducing the air flow into the firebox makes a big difference in getting the oven hot. So if you have got a hot fire going and have reduced the supply of air to a minimum, it could be that a strong (over)draft is still pulling heat up the flue.

On the other hand, if you are leaving the air supply too far open, perhaps that is the problem. Since your particular stove is likely one that few if any forum members have direct experience with, I would suggest addressing your problem to the dealer and manufacturer, as well. Is the installer also the dealer, and is he highly experienced with these stoves? If not, they may behave differently than his expectations lead him to believe.

Reactions: bholler
Maybe the diversion damper that redirects the flue gases around the oven is not sealing correctly. If so, a flue damper will not correct this. Check the operation of this damper and verify that passages around the oven are not blocked. I've not run this cook stove so and there is no manual apparently posted. It could be that the stove partially only partially diverts the flue gases around the oven. What does the dealer say?

Very nice stove,i'll ask something i might do are you turning down the stove in the right way?.never used cookstove before , but theremight be steps double check manual

That is beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.