Wood cube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clearblue16

Jan 14, 2009
Seattle
Hello all...I have a wood cube(well not quite aperfect cube). It is green split wood and it is 12' by 8' by 6'....about 4.5 cords in one big solid block.....my question is about seasoning....the top is covered and the sides exposed....is the wood in the middle going to have trouble seasoning? I have limited yard space so this shape works well....anyone have experience with this? Thanks

Do you get a good breeze blowing against the 'cube'? Also, for the summer months just uncover the whole thing to help the sun hit the middle.

there is a good breeze and the cover is just the top and the top 1' of the sides....I plan on taking the tarp off, but the center of the cube is my concern but since it is split I am hoping it will season and not rot....it is all soft wood....fir, cedar, pine

Airflow. Are the layers criss-crossed, or packed tight? The tarp will help keep the rain out, but there's already a lot of water in your monoxylos. I get lots of mold on my wood pile, but not rot, but I try not to pack too tight, and not more than 3 rows deep with a little gap between each row. My guess is that you'll be fine even if it's packed a little tight, especially if you uncover for July-August-September.

I think I'd try to keep it uncovered anytime you think you'll have reasonably dry weather. Water vapor will tend to rise, being lighter than air. The cover might interfere with the rising of the water vapor, trapping it in the stack. Im most of the US I think you'd be better off leaving it uncovered even in the winter, but maybe in Seattle its a different situation.

I am in a similiar position because some of my hardwood is scrounged from a local sawmill where I did a deal for some 4" X 6" and 3" X 5" blocks. I plan on just piling them on a pallet and reconstructing a huge Jenga puzzle. Airflow is definitely the key in wood seasoning.

clearblue16 said:
Hello all...I have a wood cube(well not quite aperfect cube). It is green split wood and it is 12' by 8' by 6'....about 4.5 cords in one big solid block.....my question is about seasoning....the top is covered and the sides exposed....is the wood in the middle going to have trouble seasoning? I have limited yard space so this shape works well....anyone have experience with this? Thanks

Clearblue, if you plan on burning this next winter I'd seriously consider making two stacks out of that wood which will help in seasoning.

I usually say to leave that stack uncovered until late fall or early winter but I hear your area gets days and days on end of rain. If so, then perhaps it is best to cover the top.

clearblue16 said:
there is a good breeze and the cover is just the top and the top 1' of the sides....I plan on taking the tarp off, but the center of the cube is my concern but since it is split I am hoping it will season and not rot....it is all soft wood....fir, cedar, pine

Clearblue, we are 7 years ahead on our wood pile. Rotting is the least of my worries. I've never had wood rot in a pile as long as the top is covered. I just leave it uncovered that first summer and fall and then do not uncover until I need the wood to burn.

Clearblue, I'd like to see a picture of this cube. Just curious.

so the front width is 8 feet, the depth is 12 feet and the height is 6 feet...typical 39 degree rain and wind day out here! it does get wind where it is and the sides stay dry for the most part unless it is driving rain.....the split wood piled on the side is going to go somewhere else.....all that will remain is the cube....if i clean up the rest of the yard i don't think anybody will even notice it on our summer b-que days! thats what i tell the wife

Attachments

• cube 002.jpg
    cube 002.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 476
  • cube 003.jpg
    cube 003.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 480
clearblue16 said:
so the front width is 8 feet, the depth is 12 feet and the height is 6 feet...typical 39 degree rain and wind day out here! it does get wind where it is and the sides stay dry for the most part unless it is driving rain.....the split wood piled on the side is going to go somewhere else.....all that will remain is the cube....if i clean up the rest of the yard i don't think anybody will even notice it on our summer b-que days! thats what i tell the wife

It looks to be stacked kind of tight. Hope for a sunny, windy summer.

You could always buy some lattice to make a movable screen for those BBQs.

Looks like young doug fir mostly? Fir seasons fast. Maybe work your way around the outside as you unbuild your cube next winter, and give the inner layers some seasoning time.

Status
Not open for further replies.