Wood Cutting on our acreage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
So I finally started felling standing dead trees on our acreage this morning.

I am guessing that there is better than a cord of wood within 50 yards of our back door.

Attachments

• P9090323.jpg
    P9090323.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 484
The first tree hitting the ground....

Attachments

• P9090316.jpg
    P9090316.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 508
Holy cow! It bucked itself when it hit the ground?! That tree is one in a million! :)

But seriously, you are lucky to have nice timber of your own, and so close.

lowroadacres said:
The first tree hitting the ground....
I have to ask did the tree break up into pieces when it hit the ground? Or could it be you bucked it after? ;-P

Shipper

sksmass said:
Holy cow! It bucked itself when it hit the ground?! That tree is one in a million! :)

But seriously, you are lucky to have nice timber of your own, and so close.
I see by our post times we tied for being a S.A.

I hope he finds the humor in our posts. :roll:

Shipper

Smart A***s of the world unite... :)

Yep, its the new magic wood cutting method where you score the tree horizontally all the way up so when it hits the ground it breaks into perfectly sized lengths

I am doing this wood a bit at a time while I cut the piles of Scored wood that are going to be ready for next winter.

Yep, we are blessed incredibly to have access to wood close by. If I were more organized I would be better able to utilize it but since I am decades away from retirement I had better stay doing a bit of wood at a time while having to work more than full time.

lowroadacres said:
Smart A***s of the world unite... :)

Yep, its the new magic wood cutting method where you score the tree horizontally all the way up so when it hits the ground it breaks into perfectly sized lengths

I am doing this wood a bit at a time while I cut the piles of Scored wood that are going to be ready for next winter.

Yep, we are blessed incredibly to have access to wood close by. If I were more organized I would be better able to utilize it but since I am decades away from retirement I had better stay doing a bit of wood at a time while having to work more than full time.

lowroadacres how dry do you think it is, I bucked up a small dead tree that was on the ground for a year or two and it measured 31 percent on the moisture meter.

zap

I do not have a moisture meter so I couldn't tell you percentages. I would burn it in a few weeks if I needed it. In years past I would have taken it straight to the stove if I was in a pinch.

This wood is of a relatively small diameter, the bark is off, it has been dead for three years, and it has deep cracks right to the center. I find that when these factors are all in play it is drier. It is also growing in a well drained area.

Thankfully I have a fair amount of wood cut split and stacked so I will only use this wood several months from now. I toy with needing/wanting a moisture meter but at the stage but unless someone gives me one it won't be something I own anytime soon.

I cut some sib. elm that looked just like your wood in the first picture last spring and burnt it with in a couple of weeks in my summit and it burnt well.

Shhhh. Don't tell the wood seasoning police.....

They might come after us because there is no deadwood out there that is dry enough to burn right off the hop!

;)

Looks just like the dead elm I will be burning this year.

You should score the tree vertically too so that it bucks and splits itself when it hits the ground.

Now you are talking.

Now I can really make time in my wood cutting adventures.

lowroadacres, CT has a moisture meter that seems to work OK they go on sale for about $ 40 every so often. That wood looks like (except for species) the spruce that I cut and burn that was standing dead as the result of a forest fire and it burns great. Please send me a cutting of that self bucking tree, I want to grow some here in the AB.

@'bert.... When you have a 16 year old in four choirs, a 13 year old in football, a 12 year old in rep hockey and a 9 year old in hockey... You get the picture :)

The only way I am acquiring a moisture meter is if someone buys it for me for Christmas. I buy once used chains for my saw at a local rental store. 40 buys me three nearly new chains.

Curiosity has me wondering about exact moisture content but if it is well checked, doesn't sizzle, won't smoke up the glass and it rings when I bang two pieces together... Then yessir... Its dry enough for the drolet and the fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.