Wood cutting permit for state of pa updated 1-18-12

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mbcijim said:
My cabin is right by the Tiadohton (sp?) State Forest (Lycoming CountY). It has 1 access point. It is gated with a lock. I've been on the road, it is at least 2-3 miles long. Will they give me a key to the gate to get firewood?

Is this called "Big Road"? A grassy Jeep road runs the ridge above pine creek??

No we're on the Loyalsock not the Pine. It doesn't have a name as far as I know. Maybe Pete's Shanty.

mbcijim said:
No we're on the Loyalsock not the Pine. It doesn't have a name as far as I know. Maybe Pete's Shanty.

From what I'm getting from reading this, is that if it is a joint use trail, than it permits car, truck, or snowmobile travel from the day following the last day of regular or extended antlerless deer season until the following April 1st. Travel on state forest roads is, at your own risk. These roads are not plowed or maintained in the winter. If your vehicle becomes stuck, the Bureau of Forestry WILL NOT extract your vehicle. Sorry, it doesn't say anything here about getting a key from a forester. I would call on that one.

I've found several permits for various state parks and state forests but I haven't found any for my area yet. I live about 30-45 minutes from three different state parks (Blue Knob, Canoe Creek, Trough Creek) which is further than I would like to drive. I don't have a truck but can borrow a dump truck from a neighbor. After putting fuel in the truck and giving my neighbor something for use of the truck, I don't think that I'm saving much, if any money, as compared to having a tri-axel of logs dropped in my back yard. I am only a mile or two away from game commission land with an access road. I expect that there would be plenty of dead wood there. A friend who lives near Blue Knob state park paid $10 for a permit to cut wood there this year. I've been told that the game commission does not allow firewood to be cut on their land but it may be worth a phone call to find out for sure. It looks like each park or forest has their own regulations. So far, craigslist has been a bust.

Aroth- I agree. Although I am finding similarities with the cost, each area has differences with when to cut, where to cut. It seems at least around here, the bigger the area, the larger area of designated cutting there is. Some area are off limits.

mbcijim said:
Backwoods, what land does the fish and boat commission own? I think state parks are owned by the game commission, and state forests are owned by dcnr. I wouldn't get too excited. There is probably fine print that says you must have one arm tied behind your back while cutting and wear a purple hat. Our government sucks.
+1

aroth said:
I've found several permits for various state parks and state forests but I haven't found any for my area yet. I live about 30-45 minutes from three different state parks (Blue Knob, Canoe Creek, Trough Creek) which is further than I would like to drive. I don't have a truck but can borrow a dump truck from a neighbor. After putting fuel in the truck and giving my neighbor something for use of the truck, I don't think that I'm saving much, if any money, as compared to having a tri-axel of logs dropped in my back yard. I am only a mile or two away from game commission land with an access road. I expect that there would be plenty of dead wood there. A friend who lives near Blue Knob state park paid $10 for a permit to cut wood there this year. I've been told that the game commission does not allow firewood to be cut on their land but it may be worth a phone call to find out for sure. It looks like each park or forest has their own regulations. So far, craigslist has been a bust.
Aroth we talked before and I'm right up the road from you just north of Altoona, and it is pathetic how much wood lines local roads that pass through state game lands here in our area. You go for a drive up over Blandburg or Tipton mountains, everywhere you look, right off the road, are standing dead oaks, ash and maples......and we are not allowed to get any of them. All within carrying distance to the road. Heck you would think that the GC would sell a ten dollar permit to be able to clean some of that wood and also make some money.....we all know here in PA how bad the GC butchered the deer population, pretty soon they won't be able to GIVE hunting licenses away!!

Backwoods said:
This is the short version I will type up, cause I cant get it from my email onto here.....

Firewood cutting guidelines.....

1. A permit is required by the deleware state forest district office ( which is by me) or one of our three forest maintenance headquarters to cur firewood. Permits are not transferrable.

2. The permit must be displayed in the windshield of the vehicle while cutting firewood.

3. The cost for a firewood permit is $ 15.00/ cord. Check or money order payable to the commonwealth of pa.

4. Firewood permits are good for 30 days and no exceptions will be granted i.e, weather was bad or they couldn't cut during this 30 day period.

5. A maxinum of five (5) firewood permits may be purchased at one time.

6. Firewood cutting areas are identified by our foresters.

7. Stumps must be no higher than the diameter of the tree, and never more than 12 inches.

With the email I recieved from the bureau of forestry, came an application, maps and directions to each cut area as well as an explanation of what a true cord is. 4x4x8. I think that 15 bucks/ cord is extremely good, up to 5 permits at a time or $ 75 bucks per 5 cords. If anybody needs info, I can look through the packet I got and help out.

Backwoods, thanks for all the leg work you did. So if I understand, you E mailed them and the sent you a packet of info, maps etc. Do you have a link for that? I'm in the north end of Pike County, we a lot of game land and state forest. With all the storms this year there is blow down everywhere.

Thanks Tom

xman23 said:
Backwoods said:
This is the short version I will type up, cause I cant get it from my email onto here.....

Firewood cutting guidelines.....

1. A permit is required by the deleware state forest district office ( which is by me) or one of our three forest maintenance headquarters to cur firewood. Permits are not transferrable.

2. The permit must be displayed in the windshield of the vehicle while cutting firewood.

3. The cost for a firewood permit is $ 15.00/ cord. Check or money order payable to the commonwealth of pa.

4. Firewood permits are good for 30 days and no exceptions will be granted i.e, weather was bad or they couldn't cut during this 30 day period.

5. A maxinum of five (5) firewood permits may be purchased at one time.

6. Firewood cutting areas are identified by our foresters.

7. Stumps must be no higher than the diameter of the tree, and never more than 12 inches.

With the email I recieved from the bureau of forestry, came an application, maps and directions to each cut area as well as an explanation of what a true cord is. 4x4x8. I think that 15 bucks/ cord is extremely good, up to 5 permits at a time or $ 75 bucks per 5 cords. If anybody needs info, I can look through the packet I got and help out.

Backwoods, thanks for all the leg work you did. So if I understand, you E mailed them and the sent you a packet of info, maps etc. Do you have a link for that? I'm in the north end of Pike County, we a lot of game land and state forest. With all the storms this year there is blow down everywhere.

Thanks Tom

Heres a link for the phone numbers for contact.... I called the swiftwater location, and asked somes questions leading to an email with all the info. Good luck.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/dcontacts.aspx

I've been cutting on state forest land in the Mt. Davis division for years. Plenty of downed or dead trees to be had. You can get behind some gates if you talk to the forester ahead of time. I usually find plenty by just driving the roads. There are some restrictions but they are minor for practically free wood. Its usually red oak in the mtns up there.

If my memory serves me mt davis is the highest point in pa??? Anyhoo, you don't get any trouble from anyone cutting along the road? Once I figure out my schedule I'll get that app sent to get a permit. Be well

Yes sir it is the highest point in PA. I think you have to cut 15 feet from the road and I pull off as far as I can. The guys from the DCNR are all really cool and all they ever asked of me was to cut stumps as low as possible.

Wow....thats really great. That's freedom. Too many disrespectful yahoos here in the east to ruin it for us.

Scotty Overkill said:
aroth said:
Aroth we talked before and I'm right up the road from you just north of Altoona, and it is pathetic how much wood lines local roads that pass through state game lands here in our area. You go for a drive up over Blandburg or Tipton mountains, everywhere you look, right off the road, are standing dead oaks, ash and maples......and we are not allowed to get any of them. All within carrying distance to the road. Heck you would think that the GC would sell a ten dollar permit to be able to clean some of that wood and also make some money.....we all know here in PA how bad the GC butchered the deer population, pretty soon they won't be able to GIVE hunting licenses away!!

Im with you about dead wood. I work for a Fed agency as a forester. If your reasoning were the case to clean up the woods they should give the permits out for free. Still go give name and address but all it is is a permit no charge. As a forester in charge of submitting payments were NOT making money by doing the paper work to submit a $10 check. Im a higher up employee even someone several grades lower than me it costs way more than the check to actually submit that check and get the funds into a usable account.

Status
Not open for further replies.