Wood cutting with the moon.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Hello, does anyone else think moon phases has any effect on the time it takes wood to cure or season due to lack of sap content in the tree, if cut in the correct moon phase ?

Example: cutting live trees only when the sap is down ? And only during the "New Moon phase", which certain almanacs say is when the sap is down in the ground or roots.

Thanks for any input.

Robbie

Sure, but you also have to consider to coriolis effect of the air flow in the Holtz Hauffen, thus stacking in a radial pattern that is ever increasing. I'd also consider cutting only when the planets line up also.

My girlfriend was once a Park Interpreter at the Bay of Fundy, she is therefore an authority on tidal forces. We were just discussing tidal forces yesterday, and if I recall correctly, the New Moon exerts the strongest tidal force - which could conceivably suck the water right out of the wood. The Full Moon would also be pretty good, but not quite as good as the New Moon, because the Sun's tidal forces negate some of the Moon's.

Of course you should also take into account the coriolis effect and make sure that local prevailing winds, tree patterns and the earth's rotation all line up such that vortices are created which increase localized wind effects, thereby sucking water out of the wood. I think there are off-the-shelf GIS programs that can help you map all that out. It wouldn't hurt to using a dowsing rod to make sure there's no groundwater directly under the area where you're cutting and stacking. Also, be sure to make the appropriate offerings to the resident wood spirits, lest they curse your wood with eternal sogginess.

And drinking a lot of beer makes it much more logical.

Seriously though, I do buy into cutting when the sap is down, but I think that's seasonal. There may be some lunar effect, who knows? I would need to hear evidence that it is more than negligible.

One thing that someone mentioned here that I think makes a whole lot of sense: if you're cutting when there are leaves on the tree, fell the tree then leave it on the ground, without doing any limbing, until the leaves are all dried out. The leaves will live on for a while, all the while transpiring water from the wood which isn't being replaced by water from the roots.

Very good information, thanks. I am becoming more convinced there is something to this moon phase stuff, at least it's worth a try. I have some oak that was cut three months ago during the new moon phase and it is already cracking and very light compared to other I had cut before this in a different phase.

Here is a link I found about moon phases and planting, pruning etc.

http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html

Robbie.

Hey Robbie,

Interesting stuff...agree with the tides. heard about the gardening twice this year from two different sources and followed the advice about planting...on the gardening we have got so much rain the tomatoes are behind, potatoes normal, and the other stuff is behind...the wood you will have to convince me...The leaves is a good point. Would probably want to have beers with Brother bart while this is figured out.....

Gideon, I think your exactly right. I have just heard so much lately about less sap during these times, I thought I would give it a shot.

My dates say the 25th of this month the moon will be right and the sap will be "less", three days before and a couple after.

What if it saved a couple months drying time ?

Robbie

Our cranes at work have computers on them that tell us how much weight is on the ball when we make a pick. I wll ask one of the operators if he notices a diffrence in weight with these cycles. I think he going to look at me like I have 3 heads.

John

It's time to get a few more trees on the ground, (new moon "waning" on the 25th, sap will be low).

Below is a link I found that is very interesting, it just adds to the many other stories and evidence I have heard and found, it's a little long but well worth the read.

I am convinced there is something to this,

http://www.therealcostarica.com/travel_costa_rica/jungle_environment_costa_rica.html

Below, scroll down, notice days 22 thru 27 (pitch black means low sap) (I just made that up !)

http://www.almanac.com/astronomy/moon/index.php

Robbie.

I don't buy the moon "pulling" sap out of wood, or banana plants. Lunar tidal forces are very real but even though they are responsible for moving billions of tons of water around every day they can't even levitate lint - try it some time. I think the ocean tides develop not from the direct, immediate gravitational pull of the moon, but from a resonance pattern that has developed over years and years - like rocking a car out of a snowbank. By the same token IF there are observable changes in the behaviour of moisture in plants it won't be because the moon's gravitational pull is acting directly on the sap - after all, the moon can't levitate lint. It will be because plants have, over millions of years, evolved internal processes that take avantage of the moon's tidal forces, or the behaviour of other organisms that are reacting to the moon (for similar reasons).

If the moon's gravitational pull has that much affect on trees, shrubs and plants, shouldn't my feet feel heavier during a full moon??

They should feel lighter, which would explain why you (not you personally) might be tempted to take off your shoes and prance like a gazelle through moonlit meadows.

Ok, what about the old timers ? They all used these moon signs to live by, and swore by them. I just think there is some kind of gravitational pull that we can not feel that "might" empty the sap out of trees, plants, etc. just a little more than any time during the month.

I don't go for all that other stuff, just the earth tidal type thing that could do this, it sure don't hurt to try it.

My wood from last month is already cracking........... I might have to weight it down to keep it from blowing away. (LOL)

Seriously, there is something going on here I think.

I'll get more evidence...........

Robbie.

Ya know...I was planting a stream buffer for a farmer years ago and he was saying something about the moon phases affecting whether or not I would be able to get all my dirt back in the holes. Of course I laughed it off (to myself) because you can NEVER get all the dirt back in the hole.

My mother in law told me to never dig a hole during the wrong signs.

She says only half the dirt fits back in the hole.

She was right........I put a wood post in the hole, which took up half the room.....Half of the dirt had to be moved elsewhere.

See.........this proves the wood cutting stuff could be true....................................................................

Robbie

Just to let everyone know, my wood that was cut on the new moon phase or waning moon for the last few months is drying very well. Showing many large cracks.

I know, there are still some non-believers............ :)

So far, there is no mold or signs of rot in any way, and no bugs or ants.

According to stories from the past, the reason for this is because during new moon phase or waning moon, the sap is way down in roots and the lower part of tree because the tree is in the resting state for the month.

And less sap means less bugs and ants feeding on trees once they are down.

New moon phase begins on August 23.

So old timers from way back say to drop the trees on the ground during this time of month so it will dry faster and have less rot or bugs.

http://www.almanac.com/astronomy/moon/index.php

Just for fun (Darwin awards), be sure and read last one !!

http://www.almanac.com/forum/read.php?8,127840,127945#msg-127945

Robbie.

Do ya think chap sales will go up or new product kevlar cup? Husky, Stihl, Saks Leak/Makita choose your brand...........Hurts just thinking about it...

you know, i just noticed somehting, the day that i cut all that wood was a full moon! i would have never had the energy otherwise. I tried yesterday, and only get 10 rounds split. I was wondering why i was so tierd after 10 rounds, now i know.

MountainStoveGuy, everyone knows that our muscles are much bigger on or near the full moon phase......... %-P

I think it's got something to do with sap content............. :)

(my wood really is cracking !)

Robbie

Robbie said:
My dates say the 25th of this month the moon will be right and the sap will be "less", three days before and a couple after.

What if it saved a couple months drying time ?

Robbie

OK...when this thread started I was eyeing up a 14", 55 foot Red maple on my property. I dropped it on the 11th, which according to my Farmer's Alamanac calendar was the New Moon. Now don't laugh...my NASCAR calendar has July 11th listed as the Full Moon and the 25th listed as the New Moon. So I'm not sure which was which, but the smaller stuff has cracks in the ends. The bigger pieces have small checks in the center only. I should have it all split sometime in Sept, so I'll take note as to how it's drying. Of course, now I wish I had cut another one on the first for comparison.

Anyone out there happen to drop a Red maple on or about the end of June/first of July????

I hate to burst any balloons here but it isn't unusual for a bucked hardwood log to have check cracks in the end of it the day after you cut the darn tree down. Even though it may be six to nine months before it is down to 20 percent moisture content.

Whether you moon the tree before you cut it down or not.

OK...when this thread started I was eyeing up a 14", 55 foot Red maple on my property. I dropped it on the 11th, which according to my Farmer's Alamanac calendar was the New Moon. Now don't laugh...my NASCAR calendar has July 11th listed as the Full Moon and the 25th listed as the New Moon. So I'm not sure which was which, but the smaller stuff has cracks in the ends. The bigger pieces have small checks in the center only. I should have it all split sometime in Sept, so I'll take note as to how it's drying. Of course, now I wish I had cut another one on the first for comparison.

Anyone out there happen to drop a Red maple on or about the end of June/first of July????

You have a NASCAR calendar AND you cut wood with the moon? Not one to be pigeonholed I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.