Wood Destroying Insect migration risk?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
0492e9f5e36f3dc97d9c974ca01dd15d.jpg

I do scrounge here and there but always look at the rounds before I load them into my car. The front pile is elevated on paved driveway where rain water drains well and at least 8ft from the garage with concrete base. I will be scoring some sturdy plastic pallet from work soon. Some of the rounds have several EAB like holes here and there, but no tunnels (on the surface or on the core of the rounds). If they are off the ground and have no access to water, what are the chances they will migrate to trees or property nearby?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

what are the chances they will migrate to trees or property nearby
Pretty damn good If you are in an area without eab and you are bringing eab infested wood in you are contributing to the spread

Pretty damn good If you are in an area without eab and you are bringing eab infested wood in you are contributing to the spread

good point, the ash taken down and splitted earlier this spring (first pile in the background) did have EAB holes in them....

And does your area have eab?

Yes, unfortunately, but no more ash tree in mine or neighbors' yards.

Well if your area already has eab it does not matter. You are not contributing to the spread in that case.

If the ash was removed standing dead then eab long gone they only
like living trees . If they were cut because they were infected then you may
have larva present that may hatch and spread to live trees .

If the ash was removed standing dead then eab long gone they only
like living trees . If they were cut because they were infected then you may
have larva present that may hatch and spread to live trees .
The 25' 20" diameter ash was taken down since it was less than 2 ft away from the corner of the house. How the previous owner willing to live with the risk was totally beyond me. It looks healthy before it was removed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The 25' 20" diameter ash was taken down since it was less than 2 ft away from the corner of the house. How the previous owner willing to live with the risk was totally beyond me. It looks healthy before it was removed.
If it looked healthy what is the risk? And if you have no ash on your property there is nothing to worry about as far as eab is concerned.

A large percentage (+50%) of my scrounge is ash. When I debark it only found a few larva ever.
They dehydrate and die quickly once exposed to the open air luckily.

I have no idea how the adult travels and reproduces.
It's something that has my interest, tho. Google time on the life cycle and habitat
of our lil' blessing/ curse.
I'd call it a blessing as there's something that will immediately
take the place of an ash whether a maple propeller lands there or a stand of beech erupts, etc.
Fertile soil leaves no empty spaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom line is if your area is not completely infected by eab yet you should not be moving ash around. If like our area eab is already everywhere then there is no risk at all to moving it. They will only attack ash trees so there is no danger to anything else.

Same here. Every ash is dying or dead. We can move around all we want. Just don't take it to the east.

Reactions: excessads
Status
Not open for further replies.