Wood Doctor OWB door gasket replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2009
Central Indiana
HI Guys,

So, I decided after 6 years, the rope gasket around the door may be failing. I suspect that for a couple of reasons. First, it puts little puffs of smoke out at the corners sometimes during firing cycles. Second, my wood consumption seemed higher last year, (it was a little colder) and I think it's sucking air during the off cycles, causing the fire to not go out as far as it should.

So I ordered the rope and caulk from Wood Doctor but how do I replace it? How cool does the door have to be before caulking the new rope on? Do I just use pliers and yank the old one off? Seems simple enough, I just don't want to screw it up...

Thanks for your input, I will just sit here and do a little Coors Light research, and watch for your answers!

Dave

You don't need to shut down the boiler. Just let it burn down to mostly coals and then replaced while the door is still warm. I took pliers and pealed out the old gasket and then used a screwdriver to try and clean out the grove the best I could. Follow the instructions on the glue and you should be fine. A new seal will make a world of difference if you are letting air through the seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.