Wood Dolly for the over 45 age group!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.fixit

Feeling the Heat
Dec 27, 2009
west central wi.
Here's a dolly I use to load the boiler.Its about the same height as the boiler loading opening and it holds a little more than a full loading. I roll it over to garage door,load it up, and roll it to within arms length of the boiler,saves a few steps for us old timers.
I like to reload it right away so the wood is warmed up some before the next load goes in.

Attachments

• P1050786.jpg
    P1050786.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 659
I like the idea of reducing the number of times that wood has to be picked up and/or handled. I've been experimenting with a much larger frame. It fits on the tractor forks, and the idea is that I would bring it over to the garage door in my basement and drop it on a pair of wheeled dollies for easy transport to the boiler room.

Attachments

• 17_PA170027.jpg
    17_PA170027.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 635
Thats nice,nofossil,but for those of you that like to weigh your wood,my design might be easier to build with an onboard scale than yours!
BTW I do have a tractor but it's red.

mr.fixit said:
Thats nice,nofossil,but for those of you that like to weigh your wood,my design might be easier to build with an onboard scale than yours!
BTW I do have a tractor but it's red.

I expect that Nofossil can come up with some form of weight transponders on the rack or roller dollies that will feed data into his data acquisition empire!

I got to get a new camera.

I got a wood hauler like these only it is mounted on the 3-point of my 5000 Ford. I cut down a hyd. cyl. to fit on the top link. It is hooked to my remote hyd. so if I want, I can just dump it off. Very easy to load, compact. It is 6'x6'x 28". An when it is fully (over)loaded it is slow going. Also welded a heavy angle iron piece with holes drilled in it with a 2" ball mounted on it.

Will take some pics in the future.

Mr. fixit, whats your "20?" We may be drinking the same water.

Garn, I'm over here east of Lacrosse by Sparta.
One thing I've found is that the older a person gets,the more he trys to find easier ways to move wood around.(or anything for that matter)

mr.fixit said:
Garn, I'm over here east of Lacrosse by Sparta.
One thing I've found is that the older a person gets,the more he trys to find easier ways to move wood around.(or anything for that matter)

Hey Wisconsin guys I am down by Baraboo, new gasifier on line.

When I get a chance I will get some pictures of the carts we are using. They are 5'W X 4'H X 30" D, They have casters on them to move around. My dad has his set up to go on his 3 point hitch with his load match quick attach.

gg

Wood carrier and wood buck for well seasoned (3 year) branches.

Attachments

• WoodCut.jpg
    WoodCut.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 468
I used 3 pallets. One on bottom, one on each side, with a 2x4 across the top. Put almost 1/2 cord on each. Move with tractor, can drive thru garage door and drop just outside my boiler room. got 23 pallets of wood up, plan on doing another bunch this spring. I grew up with 3 wood stoves. uswed to burn 14 to 18 cord a yr. Despise re-handling wood.

Nice looking racks!

Flyingcow,
I do the same as you except I use 4 pallets and a wire across the front to keep from spreading open.I use a cat skid steer and forks.I like your way It will season better with 2 open ends.I also cover tops with plastic and staple to pallets

Ya know guys,if you would stack your firewood a little closer to your boiler,you wouldn't need such big carts!

Attachments

• P1050789.jpg
    P1050789.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 413
mrfixit, have you ever had and carpenter ant problems?
I stacked wood against my house once, and I had an infestation!

Thats my unattached garage, the boiler is just inside the door-so not quite such a big deal, but I'm sure there are ants in the wood pile.Haven't seen to many in the garage yet.
Oh well I guess if the garage falls down I'll just have to build another.We're so close to the woods the ants find us anyway.
I might get to the back of the pile this year so who knows what I'll find living in there!

My son in law made wood racks/holders out of pallets and steel livestock panels.

He nailed a 2x4 cleat flat on the edge of the pallet and then bent the livestock panel to the size of that edge, (roughly 4'x4') He used 16' panel so one piece forms the whole thing. He just uses heavy zip ties to connect the ends of the panel. Slides under them with out Kubota and brings 3-4 of them into the pole barn at a time. It's a joy to work with wood that's always nice and dry and warm. Each pallet holds 2 rows of 20" long wood about 4' high. A little less than a face cord on each one.

Status
Not open for further replies.