Wood drying in the colder months

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
Wouldn't the colder months be better for wood seasoning? Just because of the winds and low humidity? Just asking...

I was thinking about this the other day and my thought was worse because the water in the wood mite be frozen. Thus not letting it evaporate.. I'm interested to see what others think. Pat

Significantly slower, because of the lower temps.

The rates of many physical/chemical processes are exponential functions of temp. That's why, for accelerated drying rate, you use a kiln, if you can afford the energy input. Thus you raise the partial pressure of the water vapor in the wood, up to atmospheric.

Long waits for moisture to sublimate away.

CTYank said:
Significantly slower, because of the lower temps.

The rates of many physical/chemical processes are exponential functions of temp. That's why, for accelerated drying rate, you use a kiln, if you can afford the energy input. Thus you raise the partial pressure of the water vapor in the wood, up to atmospheric.

Long waits for moisture to sublimate away.

I realize the heat element would not be there, so one out of the three major factors are not there really. But there is some drying going on...right?

This comes up every year, some say yes some say no- My vote is yes but not as much

A recent similar post referenced a document that showed outdoor drying power. Can't find the thread, but it listed drying factor through the year - January was a 5 compared to July at 30. By that ratio, wood does dry in winter but only one sixth as quickly as summer.

It depends on the temp. When it is -15 and colder up here which is all winter. The water in the wood actually sublimates it's so cold. Once it starts to sublimate you can have it bone dry in days.

On a side note it is -43 right now you can watch Water sublimate instantly.get a cup throw it in the air watch it go away.

Where's BK when you need him, hopefully I get this right, the free water leaves the wood below freezing, the bound water however does not do a thing after it hits 32 degrees.

There are also some who claim clothing can not be dried on a clothes line outdoors during the winter months. They too have been proved wrong. Wood will dry some over the winter months but certainly not as quickly as during the summer months.

Are some foods not commercially freeze dried?

You might be able to freeze dry wood on that basis......... ;-)

After 2 days of wind & it being 10° & colder, the ice on my driveway is almost all gone, the water wet somewhere & it didn't evaporate.
Same with wood, the surface will dry well in cold winter days, & will slowly wick moisture from the inner wood. Just slower.
I saw yesterday on the weather report, 37% humidity & 10 degrees. Not much moisture in the air, so the wood pile is getting drier.
I think freeze dried foods are put in a vacuum chamber to dry (suck the moisture out) quickly.

I asked the same question a few years ago and was basicly said yes and one comment was "you've heard of freeze dried coffee, havn't you?" I get wood from a local guy and I've messured it at about 35% and it will be ready by January or February at about 25%.

Brian

oldspark said:
Where's BK when you need him, hopefully I get this right, the free water leaves the wood below freezing, the bound water however does not do a thing after it hits 32 degrees.

You got it right... best as I understand it anyway. In our area, however, there are lots of days above freezing that the bound water can diffuse through the split, so it is always drying to some degree. Like Sav says, clothes dry pretty good outside in the very coldest weather, with just as trace of dampness left in my experience. Just don't bend them before they warm up. :grrr:

Don't forget, either, when all the free water is gone the wood it already down to about 28% MC dry-basis for the majority of species. That's 22% water by weight. Ideal? No, but close enough for me to burn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.