Wood drying technique

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solar wood drying kiln.

Take one honda civic hatchback that just happens to be painted black & put your wood in the hatchback, up on blocks off the floor only 1 row high & park your car in the sun.

At night, all the moisture that the sun has baked out of the wood condenses on the insides of your windshield & all your other glass & freezes, if its cold enough.

Get up 1/2 hour early ,in the morning, because it will take you that long to defrost all your frozen windows, but, at least your wood will be nice & dry.

This works well in the winter time, I am amazed how well. Any dark colored station wagon
suv, hatchback, mini van cargo van will work.

NOW I KNOW THIS SOUNDS LIKE A JOKE, BUT IT IS NOT. THIS REALLY WORKS.

Its funny ,too. I discovered it by complete accident. i had a bunch of pallets that I had just finished busting up with a sledgehammer for firewood & it started to rain.

I was 400 ft from my woodshed & getting wetter by the second, so I opened up my hatchback & put the wood in and locked the car.

Next day ,the car, with the wood in the back, was in the sun all day & I went out about 11 at nite to get a pack of smokes out of the glove box & i see the insides of the windows all frozen over, front,back,sides,
everywhere.

I figure that the moisture I see must have come from the wood, because the car never did that in the whole 9 years I owned it before.

So now , the back of my car is full of dry wood,ready to burn.

Before you say (bs) give it a try, if you happen to own the right kind of car.

Status
Not open for further replies.