Wood drying

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
Its been raining here in MI non-stop for a couple of weeks. My uncovered wood is kinda wet. Should I cover now or wait till it dries a little bit more? I want to bring about 3-4 face into my garage will it dry there better or dry better outside?

I would not cover it. I'd leave it outside. These cool (dry) windy days will dry off that moisture faster than your enclosed garage will.

I am already burning wood and it will dry better outside but you need to cover the top of it to shed water that could drain down into the pile where it can puddle in valleys in the wood and take longer to dry.

This week is supposed to be much drier than last week (possibly a shower tomorrow and tomorrow night). I'd leave it uncovered for sure. Then before we get another round of wet, cover the top of the pile only.

Here, I won't be covering probably until late November. Earlier if we are forecast much snow.

Speaking of snow, I see the UP is forecast up to 6" of snow. That should send some cold air our way but we don't need snow yet. Can you imagine what a heavy snow would do now?! I remember about 45 years ago when we got an early snow (probably late October). What a mess that made. Broken limbs all over the place, power lines down and, of course, the inevitable mass of cars in ditches. The first snow of the year always has to teach a bunch of people how to drive once again; and it isn't how they drive during the summer either.

I like my wood.

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Get off fat butt and remove the tarp the minute it stops raining for the day. Leave sides open if possible.
2. Repeat for 1 to 2 years until you can hear a hollow sound when you wood knock. Splits should feel 1/2 as heavy.
3. Allow only very dry wood to enter the Temple.

Same problem here. The rain won't stop long enough to dry the wood to the point that I can put it in the shed. This weeks forecast is looking no better.....patience is a virtue.

Backwoods Savage said:
This week is supposed to be much drier than last week (possibly a shower tomorrow and tomorrow night). I'd leave it uncovered for sure. Then before we get another round of wet, cover the top of the pile only.

Here, I won't be covering probably until late November. Earlier if we are forecast much snow.

Speaking of snow, I see the UP is forecast up to 6" of snow. That should send some cold air our way but we don't need snow yet. Can you imagine what a heavy snow would do now?! I remember about 45 years ago when we got an early snow (probably late October). What a mess that made. Broken limbs all over the place, power lines down and, of course, the inevitable mass of cars in ditches. The first snow of the year always has to teach a bunch of people how to drive once again; and it isn't how they drive during the summer either.

Here in SE South Dakota we have 1" of snow on the ground and 4 more days of snow on the way already. It has been getting down to about 20 F at night. ITS OCTOBER!

08brute said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Here in SE South Dakota we have 1" of snow on the ground and 4 more days of snow on the way already. It has been getting down to about 20 F at night. ITS OCTOBER!

Sounds normal to me. :cheese:

north of 60 said:
08brute said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Sounds normal to me. :cheese:

We usually dont get hit until Nov -Dec. We went from 70 F weather to 30 F weather in a week. Leterally

Status
Not open for further replies.