Wood Envy in Europe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I just returned from two weeks in the Alps of Switzerland, Italy, Austria and Germany. Everywhere we went I spotted huge, neat, long rows of stacked wood. Tons of it around virtually every house, lining roads and driveways, out in the open or in wood sheds. Cords and cords out in the middle of nowhere stacked between trees.
In almost every case there was a corrugated metal or fiberglass strip covering just the tops of the stacks, leaving the sides exposed. I've never seen so much processed firewood. Mile after mile of it. Sorry, no pics. I spotted all of this while I was going down the highways in a motor coach.

this does not exist without pics!! good luck

I have always said that wood cutting and stacking must be a required college level course in Switzerland. Every stick is exactly the came size and stacked like a work of art.

My wife is from Germany and these pics are from our trip there this past January. I never really noticed them before when we would go, but, now I am a scrounger and these would be great to get my paws on. This is in Rheinland Pfalz in southwest Germany.

Attachments

• DSC05273.jpg
    DSC05273.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC05274.jpg
    DSC05274.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC05284.jpg
    DSC05284.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 269
The Germans make nice neat stacks.

Status