wood falls against the glass...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crow

Dec 4, 2005
Ohio
Occasionally as my fire burns down , the wood will fall into coals and any larger pieces on top will tumble toward the glass.
When this happens, the wood also blocks the air hole in the "dog house " , which as far as I can tell is my only direct air source , besides the baffles for secondary burn at the top of the fire box.
I know other posts have touched on the fact that the glass is really ceramic, etc.
But the manual for my stove (Hearthstone Tribute)advises against letting wood come in contact with the glass , and cautions against letting anything block the air hole. It says that the stove will not function properly if the hole becomes blocked or clogged.

What can I do to prevent this from happening. What damage would be done if this happens when I am not right there to correct it?
Does it pose any danger?

That's one of the fall backs of having a small firebox. When I have a log fall on the glass it will leave a black soot spot on the glass. I just wipe it off with a paper towel. When wood blocks the air supply my glass can really soot up, so I tend to place the logs an inch or two away from it. When I reload I rake the coals towards the front so the angle will roll the logs towards the back.

It shouldn't really be that big a deal - the worst is that you'll have to clean the glass. You're air supply is not really being blocked. Your main combustion air comes into the firebox at the top front, flows down across the inside of the glass window, and then goes behind the angled metal and then out the "dog house". If your "dog house" is blocked, the air still comes in, still washes the glass, it just can't get into the "dog house". It's still there to feed your fire.

I cut my wood shorter and load the stove so that the ends lay front to back. I have a wide firebox which will take a 20 inch log, but I only cut wood 13 inches and load it the front to back method. Nothing rolls . Works for me.

hey lazer
how long of a burn can you get loading it front to back?
what are your normal burn times?
and does the stove run any hotter with smaller splits?

fbelec said:
hey lazer
how long of a burn can you get loading it front to back?
what are your normal burn times?
and does the stove run any hotter with smaller splits?

I have an Avalon Olympic. This is my second year with this stove. I can make this stove burn all night long if I damp it down completely. But I would rathe have productive heat so I probably open it up a bit more than normal. I load it at 10;30 pm and at 6:00 AM there is still hot coals. That is a far cry from the advertised 12 hour burn time but I think all these burn times are overrated. And yes, smaller splits does produce a hotter fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.