Wood Fired Hot tubs!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Seems like a revival.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/garden/21hottub.html

Hippies in wood tubs, ah...........I must admit, though, of hard ever (or never) having been naked in one with a large group of others. Can't say the same about a wood fired sauna, though.
:)

LOL, the environmental types will be regulating their emissions by next week. I will try the catalytic model, please.

My ex-hippie parents in Cali have one. they don't use it anymore, they got a modern one that you can just go out, lift the cover turn on some Yanni, and veg when ready. :)

Now in their late 70's they no longer have time nor desire to start heating the hot tub yesterday for a soak tomorrow.. and dad says it goes through a LOT of wood..

Real hippies DIY :) check-out this partially DIY one: external-fired, based on a livestock water tank for about $1000 and actually looks really nice http://www.motherearthnews.com/do-it-yourself/how-to-build-a-hot-tub.aspx

MEN-JJ10-hot-tub-6.jpg

Not sure how you'd paddle it?

My wife and I stayed in a vacation rental with wood fired hot tub a couple times. The "stove" was inside the tub. It took about 3 hours to heat up. The main problem I found was not paying attention while getting the temp up and overheating. I probably go it up to about 120. We spent several hours waiting for it to heat up, then cool down before we could get in.

Pretty cool, but not worth the expense and effort to own one myself.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
we've offered snorkel stoves/tubs to the aging hippies in our market for ages

Made right here in Seattle.

Our wood-fired Snorkel Hot Tub is part of the wood routine here Downeast ( Downeast ! ). Used only in the non-bug months, the aluminum top-loading stove is under water, burning all the
no-firewood softwood from blow-downs and semi-rotten junk not used in the heating stoves.

The pleasure of having a nice brew or wine under the stars in new fallen snow @ say 10 F is priceless. Strongly recommended for ex-hippies, aging hippies, wannabee hippies, or joy seeking neocons.

For the 6' diameter tub we have -- ~700 gallons capacity, the Snorkel stove will heat to al dente ( ~110 F ) in +/- 2 hours, or more if iced up. The tub and stove is a simple setup for anyone with basic construction skills. You'll need a good level solid site, a drain, and of course, privacy. Ours is set up overlooking a Penobscot Bay cove; trees were cleared for views and fire safety with an 8' SS stack and spark arrestor. The water is changed often, so no chemicals needed. Since it's outdoors I use my scuba wetsuit for winter cleaning and water changing. Worth it ? Absolutely !

The 6" tub will seat 4 adults, or 6 very friendly ones. Watch out for Archimedes ! Permits may be mandated south of here :-S .

The Snorkel Stove Company website is nicely done and fun.

P.S. 1. Shower before tubbing.
2. Winter hat needed below 20 F.
3. In spite of Craig's desire to go nude, it is optional.
4. Rubber Ducky mandatory ( and please, never shout "DIVE,DIVE,DIVE" )

Status
Not open for further replies.