Wood fired oven - Margherita pizza

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
Oh man. I think I have a new favorite pizza for a while. Thanks bfunk for the idea. I made a margherita pizza tonight in the oven along with a portabella mushroom and sweet italian sausage calzone. I had a glass of lemonade mixed with a healthy dose of limoncello and ice to go with it.

The Margherita is quite different. Very light on the tomato sauce, fresh sliced tomato, fresh mozz that comes in a ball that I sliced thin. Fresh thin sliced basil on top. A little olive oil and salt and pepper capped it off. It is really a good tasting pizza, light but flavorfull, especially the sliced tomato on top.

The requisite firing photos:

DSC01744.JPG

I loaded some very dry maple in there and probably got it the hottest yet. The pizza cooked under 5 minutes

DSC01748.JPG

Margherita fresh out of the oven.

DSC01759.JPG

DSC01763.JPG

Mushroom and sausage calzone. Egg wash on top.

DSC01764.JPG

It needed more cheese, but it was fine anyways. I like a good lava cheese flow out of calzones.

DSC01769.JPG

Looks fantastic Jon!! You should open a restaurant!

Ray

Thanks. No restaurant though;lol . I did used a finer flour that is milled from wheat that has a higher protein content which made a huge difference. I am still working on dough recipes though. I think I'll go eat the leftovers now for an early lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.