Wood fireplace blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loyd198

Jan 5, 2009
indiana
I have awoodburning fireplace in a house I just purchased and I cannot figure out how to turn on the blowers for it. It has what looks like a thermostat that has two dials and a glass tube of some sort. One dial has number rangeing from summer setting to 250. the other is labeled with the word "dif" and numbers of 15,40, and 65. I have tried moving these dials or levers and nothing has caused it to come on. I check the breaker for it and it tested ok..can someone tell me how to get this blower operating with a fire burning in the fireplace ? thanks

Hi. Just a guess here. The first setting sounds like the cut-in temperature or the temp at which the fan comes on. The 'dif' is likely the differential. That is the temp at which the fan stops if the blower cool down the firebox too much. If the fan doesn't come on at the summer setting, the motor may be burned out or the switch bad.

Thanks for the information..it is working now !! I lowered the temperature and the fan kicked on and is working great. Just curious though..what should I set the dif on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.