Wood Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bike1962

Dec 10, 2009
Midwest
Hi, I am a noobie to this site. I live in a 1 1/2 story full masonry home with a "dummy" fireplace that has "no vent" gas logs in it. I have always wanted to have a wood fireplace, but this dummy has no chimney. The only chimney I have is a masonry chimney for the gas furnace flu. My question is: Is it even feasbale to consider installing a wood burning fireplace/stove in a differnt location in the home? The location of the exisitng "dummy" fireplace is against the garage wall so I have no room to build out from that. What are my alternatives? The main floor is about 1000 square foot and the 2nd floor *has 2 bedrooms, and a "entertainment room" is about 400 square foot. I have a full "unfinished" basment. The roof pitch on the house is about 8/12 (fairly steep) There is crawl space on the second floor behind the rooms going the length of the "shotgun" style house. Any chance on installing a wood stove/fireplace or should I stick to my outdoor chimenea for my wood fires? Any thoughts?

You can install a woodstove almost anywhere, you have to understand that you will need to build a hearth and install a chimney. The chimney can be installed outside and enclosed in a chase to match the exterior of the house, or indoors and boxed in with sheetrock. There will be expense involved.

The other option is to upgrade your gas furnace to a direct vent furnace and reuse that masonry chimney. The chimney should be checked to see if it is built correctly and can be used for a wood stove. You will likely need to install a liner in the chimney.

Could you contact a local dealer that also does installs and have them come over and give you an estimate. They will know best how to get you started. Or post some pictures here and there are folks that may comment. If you are serious about it, start collecting firewood now so that you will have some dry wood ready by the time you get your install done. Visit the "woodshed" section of this forum to find out about seasoning your firewood. Good luck and may the flame be with you.

Thanks for the responses. The masonry chimney for the furnace is not in a good spot for the wood stove to sit.

Can a wood stove sit on the floor and have the flu run outside a wall up through the ceiling and then out of the roof? Assuming a double or triple wall pipe is used? Also, can the flu for the stove turn 90 degree's, 45 degree's...? What are the restrictions? Is there a wood stove that is small enough that would only need to heat about 500 spuare foot? (Living Room/Dining Room)

Thanks

yes chimney inside the structure is actually the best for drafting, you need to use class A to pass thru the wall, then class A from there on to the chimney cap. Once you make the transition for class A, it needs to remain class A. pics in signature link for an example of this...

Competent installers or DIY'ers can make short work of the carpentry to make the transitions thru walls/ceilings. Class A is the most expensive pipe, installed costs would be ~ equal to the cost of a good stove. I am sure there are a lot of variables that could invalidate the previous statement.

Consider placing your woodstove in a room toward the center
of your long home. The first floor is most always the better choice.
The heat can travel toward the surrounding rooms, and up to the second floor.

Make some simple sketches to capture your ideas, before going to a
professional for some quotes. Get 3 seperate bids. Check quaifications and
references of the dealer/installer you finally engage.

Use Hearth.com , stove mfg. sites and the web for information.
There are many fine pros here that give excellent advice.

I am just a humble wood burner.
Choose wisely and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.