wood for a tarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingcow

Minister of Fire
Jun 4, 2008
northern-half of maine
Heres my plan---buy about 2 cord of seasoned(last years cut) and follow it with the wood I'm cutting now. Got about 3 cords bucked up and covered(Just this last week).Used about 800 gals of oil last year, should be able to heat the house with about 6 cord. Won't install the Tarm until mid Oct. Will split wood in a week or so and put under cover. Plan on doing about 12-15 cord before the deep snow hits. The wood is a mix of good hardwoods. Will have some white birch and popular, but the majority will be yellow birch, maples, beech, and a little apple. As someone pointed out, the yellow birch takes longer to dry, so that'll be moved to the back of the pile. I'm assuming the apple will be about the same. I grew up burning wood, dad always had a year ahead so never had to worry about trying to get it seasoned quick.

- :coolsmile: -------I will appreciate some advice form our resident experts.-------- :coolsmile:

Having just installed my Tarm, I can't answer by experience. But if you do the math, you won't like the answer.
1 full load of wood = 5 cu. feet (Solo40)
1 full cord= 128 cu. feet

That means you'll get 25 full loads of wood out of a cord.
2-loads a day,
Every 2 weeks, according to my math, you will burn a cord of wood.

Six cords will last 3 months.
Hopefully, you won't have to load the boiler up with 2 full loads every day.

I use just over 4 cords a year in an EKO 25. I'd love to get to the point where I had 12 cords stacked - that would be more than two years ahead. Seems like buying green wood two years ahead is a pretty good investment if you have the room.

I'd mix a little of this year's with the seasoned stuff as you go - you don't want to run out of seasoned before the end of the heating season. You need seasoned to start it. Once it's going, you can add a few greener chunks and be OK.

chuck172 said:
Having just installed my Tarm, I can't answer by experience. But if you do the math, you won't like the answer.
1 full load of wood = 5 cu. feet (Solo40)
1 full cord= 128 cu. feet

That means you'll get 25 full loads of wood out of a cord.
2-loads a day,
Every 2 weeks, according to my math, you will burn a cord of wood.

Six cords will last 3 months.
Hopefully, you won't have to load the boiler up with 2 full loads every day.

I"ll try to remember your post later in the season...........but seems like you're way off. Can't prove until next year....but something don't smell right. I live in the northern half of maine. I lived/grew up in an old farm house(which didn't have any insulation in the walls) We didn't walk around in shorts during the winter, but we were comfortable. Burned about 12 cords a year, some years we got as high as 18, but we didn't have any kind of good burning system as we have today( old days..3 wood stoves, which all the wood was split by hand). I will be willing to bet you (you name the price), that I will not burn a cord every 2 weeks.

nofossil said:
I use just over 4 cords a year in an EKO 25. I'd love to get to the point where I had 12 cords stacked - that would be more than two years ahead. Seems like buying green wood two years ahead is a pretty good investment if you have the room.

I'd mix a little of this year's with the seasoned stuff as you go - you don't want to run out of seasoned before the end of the heating season. You need seasoned to start it. Once it's going, you can add a few greener chunks and be OK.

Got damn lucky..just bought 3 cord of seasoned wood for 170 a cord. Just got this deal in the last couple of hours. Wood look's good.
I will probably update the cords to 6. This will give me the comfort zone. Thanks for the input "nofossil", I will mix and match if I have to. I've got a pretty good supply of hard wood, but just not seasoned. I've got 3 kids( and one hell of a nice wife) from the age of 9yrs to 14 yrs, and i enjoy very much cutting the fuel for the winter with them. I have the room to go as far ahead as I want, but will probably go with only 1 years ahead.

flyingcow, I hope you're right, for your sake and mine. Like I said, this will be my first year with the Tarm. You have to admit though you can't argue with my numbers. I've been told to figure on 6 cords. No storage. I think with storage you'll be more efficient.

chuck172 said:
flyingcow, I hope you're right, for your sake and mine. Like I said, this will be my first year with the Tarm. You have to admit though you can't argue with my numbers. I've been told to figure on 6 cords. No storage. I think with storage you'll be more efficient.

Lets see how this compares. I have a 1800/2000 sq/ft house(12 yrs old). Standard insulation(which I would do over)6 inch walls/ 18inch ceilings. 2 story. On top of a damn windy hill(looking at Mt Katahdin). My kids are taking alot more frequent showers.etc. i went thru about 800 gals of oil with a Weil/McClain system 85,00btu rating. I plan on being warmer than last winter, so I'll probably use about 1000 gals of fuel(to compare this to last winter). But it will be with wood.
Your figures are if the system runs wide open all the time. Even with the storage, that's not gonna happen.I would be surprised if you could do that with an OWB, leave the windows open.

Anyways.......please post thoughts on everyones experience. I think I've posted enough info on my situation. I'm fairly confident I'll use about 6 cords of wood. But i do feel better knowing that I have some seasoned wood. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.