Wood for life?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
IMG_20160109_131036.jpg IMG_20160109_152309.jpgSaw a tree being taken down a block away a few weeks ago. Asked the tree service owner if i could have the wood. Told him it was for burning. He told me that I didn't want it, it was elm and a groan to split, but that he had plenty for me if i wanted to pick it up. Went down yesterday and loaded up the truck (pic is after i started unloading and realized i needed a pic). Brought a six pack, which assured me a return visit whenever I want. Sweet.

View attachment 171659 View attachment 171660Saw a tree being taken down a block away a few weeks ago. Asked the tree service owner if i could have the wood. Told him it was for burning. He told me that I didn't want it, it was elm and a groan to split, but that he had plenty for me if i wanted to pick it up. Went down yesterday and loaded up the truck (pic is after i started unloading and realized i needed a pic). Brought a six pack, which assured me a return visit whenever I want. Sweet.
A groan to split? That's not what i said! Lemme try something here. Yo mama's a total groan.

I dream of hook ups like that, I also have nightmares seeing grinders like that.

With a pile like that, you can be real picky.

Good connect.

Software has an auto censor for certain words.

Faqs

Words on my post, sig or message were changed! What's up? Censoring!
Well, actually yes!

The software has a feature whereby we replace selected words....usually with "lightweight" words meaning the same thing.

Note that your words are not really changed......in our data. Rather, what is done is that when these words are delivered to you each time by the software, they are replaced.

Rest assured that no one personally went in (in 99% of cases) and edited your words, sig, conversations, etc.

Faqs

Well, actually yes!

The software has a feature whereby we replace selected words....usually with "lightweight" words meaning the same thing.

Note that your words are not really changed......in our data. Rather, what is done is that when these words are delivered to you each time by the software, they are replaced.

Rest assured that no one personally went in (in 99% of cases) and edited your words, sig, conversations, etc.
figured, but got a kick out of it. It would be funnier if the words were replaced mad-libs style, with random words

Generally engineered wood products are not good for burning in stoves- some of the components of the glues transform in to very nasty by-products during burning as well as some being extremely corrosive to the flue system. Most stove manuals specifically state not to burn these products. Much as I hate to say this but pellets and compressed wood bricks could definitely contain some of this material. I do not think there are any specific regulations in this area concerning pellet and compressed wood brick mfg materials. More to do with ethics at this point I would surmise.

Don't have any experience burning elm up here but couldn't you just slice it into pucks that would fit through the stove door?

I cut some of my oak/maple etc into 8" thick pieces that are good for the overnite loads

Generally engineered wood products are not good for burning in stoves- some of the components of the glues transform in to very nasty by-products during burning as well as some being extremely corrosive to the flue system. Most stove manuals specifically state not to burn these products. Much as I hate to say this but pellets and compressed wood bricks could definitely contain some of this material. I do not think there are any specific regulations in this area concerning pellet and compressed wood brick mfg materials. More to do with ethics at this point I would surmise.
Are you replying to the correct thread?

Don't have any experience burning elm up here but couldn't you just slice it into pucks that would fit through the stove door?

I cut some of my oak/maple etc into 8" thick pieces that are good for the overnite loads
Sure, but like the gent above said, I can be a bit picky now.

Faqs

Well, actually yes!

I didn't use profanity. I'm not sure why I was included in your response......?????

Status
Not open for further replies.