1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood for next fire

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Adios Pantalones, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    This weekend's work- cutting. splitting, moving slabwood. Most common question I get at shows is "how much wood do you burn?", so here it is- wood for one firing.

Total slab wood- 2 honest cord (maybe a bit more). This stack gets wider than the pallets as I don't pay much attention- stacks are super stable with 40" long wood. Notice the thinner stuff at left- that's for near the end of the fire.
    IMG_1561.JPG

Here's the wood I start the fire with (right) and the super thin pieces I end with after 35-40 hours firing. The thin stuff covers the throat area of the kiln- slowing air flow and burning really fast without coaling- at the end you want to burn out the coal bed that can be 18-24" deep.
    IMG_1562.JPG

This is a small amount of "side stoke" wood- it's shoved directly into the chamber with the pots rather than into the firebox.
    IMG_1563.JPG

And... I throw in lots of my brush pile. Maybe half of what you see here.
    IMG_1564.JPG
    quads likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Not the prettiest stuff, but I would guess it gets the job done. Do you get that pretty dry or do you have to season it? Or is a 1000 +degree kiln not fussy about what it eats.

I happened on this site the other day researching firebricks, have you been there?

http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Oh- it's ugly crap, but it's cheap and dry. The kiln would rather have dry stuff, but at some points the glazes like water for reduction.

Never been to Sheffield, but that's where I currently get my clay (delivered to me). Looks like a cool operation- mining clay locally (but not highfire stoneware).

If you want firebricks- go to Cutter Atlantic in Woburn- cheaper, more local, better selection etc. Call ahead- they have early hours. http://www.cutteratlantic.com/ Walking around their warehouse- I'm like a kid in a candy store.