Wood for next fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend's work- cutting. splitting, moving slabwood. Most common question I get at shows is "how much wood do you burn?", so here it is- wood for one firing.

Total slab wood- 2 honest cord (maybe a bit more). This stack gets wider than the pallets as I don't pay much attention- stacks are super stable with 40" long wood. Notice the thinner stuff at left- that's for near the end of the fire.
IMG_1561.JPG

Here's the wood I start the fire with (right) and the super thin pieces I end with after 35-40 hours firing. The thin stuff covers the throat area of the kiln- slowing air flow and burning really fast without coaling- at the end you want to burn out the coal bed that can be 18-24" deep.
IMG_1562.JPG

This is a small amount of "side stoke" wood- it's shoved directly into the chamber with the pots rather than into the firebox.
IMG_1563.JPG

And... I throw in lots of my brush pile. Maybe half of what you see here.
IMG_1564.JPG

Reactions: quads
Not the prettiest stuff, but I would guess it gets the job done. Do you get that pretty dry or do you have to season it? Or is a 1000 +degree kiln not fussy about what it eats.

I happened on this site the other day researching firebricks, have you been there?

http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/

Oh- it's ugly crap, but it's cheap and dry. The kiln would rather have dry stuff, but at some points the glazes like water for reduction.

Never been to Sheffield, but that's where I currently get my clay (delivered to me). Looks like a cool operation- mining clay locally (but not highfire stoneware).

If you want firebricks- go to Cutter Atlantic in Woburn- cheaper, more local, better selection etc. Call ahead- they have early hours. http://www.cutteratlantic.com/ Walking around their warehouse- I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Status
Not open for further replies.