1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wood from a nursery?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by kobudo, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kobudo

kobudo Member

Loc:
    MN
    I am going through more wood than I planned for this winter. There is a nursery that sells firewood by the pound (oak) 17 cents/lb. The lady I spoke with said it is seasoned. Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to buy green wood.....

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    thats going to put a cord at 425.00 or more depending on how season it is!(guessing about 2500 lbs for a cord season)Thats HIGH! very High
  3. kobudo

kobudo Member

Loc:
    MN
    Yea, I'm not too worried about the cost since I will probably only end up purchasing 1/4 or 1/5 of a cord. We are only burning 5 days a month when we are at the lake. I'm more concerned with making sure the wood is seasoned.
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    just look at the ends of the wood should have some cracks in it if its seasoned
  5. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    In Europe I think they sell by weight, but unless you know the moisture %, you really don't know how much wood vs. how much water you are buying.

Can you tell dry wood from wet? There are several guidelines- don't go by the wood being grey and split at the ends- it could be sopping wet inside and look like that. It should make a clear noise when you bang 2 pieces together- highish pitched, rather than a thump. Split a piece and see if it looks wet- touch it to your cheek and see if it's cooler than expected, or use a moisture meter.
  6. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    1/4 of a cord not worth buying a meter for Time to take a chance!
  7. bluefrier

bluefrier Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    In some states it is illegal to sell firewood by any measurement except a cord or fraction of a cord. 17 cents a pound sound like a
    bad idea to me.
  8. Brian VT

Brian VT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern VT
    No kidding. They have incentive to sell it wet. I'd pay for kiln dried before I bought it by the pound.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.