Q&A wood fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I recently completed construction of a new house and have a high efficiency lp gas furnace(90+). I have access to 14 acres of timber and am not sure of how to take advantage of it. I enjoy cutting timber and splitting. I have had fireplace inserts and did like the heat production but didn't like the dust and grit. I've looked into a new insert and due to fire codes I am required to put stainless steel flu liner etc which costs me 1000. The thought occurred to me to see if anyone makes an outdoor application of the wood burner so the mess is not in the house but"pipe" in the heat somehow? Got any ideas?

Answer:

Most of the outdoor "waterstoves" on the market are very inefficient- and burn dirty. I think one company- Central Boiler- has recently come up with cleaner one. If you don't care about the view of the fire- a central heater located either indoors or out can be an answer. <p>
If you do install an insert- the stainless steel liner will help it work properly and make it easier to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.