wood furnace always smokes..UPDATE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz

Jan 27, 2014
pittsburgh PA
I have an energy king 480ek and it always smokes when you open the loading door. Also it takes forever to light. Any suggestions? Or more info needed? Please ask....Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20140127_233752_610.jpg
    IMG_20140127_233752_610.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 206
not sure on your energy king but i know mine seems to smoke more when the chimney needs to be cleaned or when the chimney is cool. Sounds like you're not getting a good draft for some reason.

not sure on your energy king but i know mine seems to smoke more when the chimney needs to be cleaned or when the chimney is cool. Sounds like you're not getting a good draft for some reason.
I do think the draft is a big problem. But I can't understand why. As for the chimney, it should be ok i hardly use this thing

is it tall enough? 3 ft above any peaks within 10 ft? how many angles do you have on it as it goes out?

is it tall enough? 3 ft above any peaks within 10 ft? how many angles do you have on it as it goes out?
It is one foot higher than the peak bet its 12 feet away. I did try adding another three foot piece...same result...I have a T in the back of the furnace and two 45s...rest is straight. Insulated pipe outside...black pipe inside.

You must have blockage somewhere, maybe inside the stove? That knob/handle on the front is a damper? Maybe it's come undone and stuck closed? As far as lighting - After a lifetime of paper & matches, this year I started using a Bernzomatic torch, propane, life has never been easier - You still need some small amount of kindling, and dry wood too, but it's blazing in half a minute.

You must have blockage somewhere, maybe inside the stove? That knob/handle on the front is a damper? Maybe it's come undone and stuck closed? As far as lighting - After a lifetime of paper & matches, this year I started using a Bernzomatic torch, propane, life has never been easier - You still need some small amount of kindling, and dry wood too, but it's blazing in half a minute.
Today I'm going to check the flue. The slide damper is working. It takes like an hour to get it started. I even use diesel fuel too. Last night the flue temp was 400.....opened the door smoke was puffing right out. Its like it has no draw

how long have you had this furnace? did you get it used? sure sounds like you have a blockage somewhere in the chimney or in the furnace itself. Is the cap on the T ?
More pictures of your set up would be helpful

Sounds like my wood stove when the spark arresting cap got clogged up with crud when I first started burning. I was running wood that I thought was dry, well I thought wrong. I'd be checking the flue for obstructions as others on here have said.

Sounds like my wood stove when the spark arresting cap got clogged up with crud when I first started burning. I was running wood that I thought was dry, well I thought wrong. I'd be checking the flue for obstructions as others on here have said.
I'm working on a YouTube video right now. It will be posted within the next day. My name on YouTube is jwmirz It shows the furnace duct work chimney pipes etc. The stove was purchased brand new and was used maybe and I say maybe 25 times.

Once you put it on youtube, you can use the little icon (at the top of the text box you post in) that looks like two pieces of film to link to the video and embed it directly in a post here.

How long have you been burning the furnace & how long have you had the problem? How tall is the chimney? Have you looked in it? Birds like to build nests in there sometimes.

Reactions: BoilerMan
Pull the pipe and use a mirror in the day, you should be able to see all you need to see to make a good diagnosis.

TS

The problem started when I first installed it...just never had time to look into it really. I can't get on the roof yet...ice covered.
In addition to other comments, do you have sufficient fresh air intake to support a good draft? Many newer houses and also some older houses do not, especially if other exhaust fans (kitchen, bath), clothes dryer, air to air heat recover unit) are operating. Try opening a window or door to get a fresh air flow and see if that makes a difference in your draft.

Also, what's the vertical length of your stack/chimney. If I remember correctly, my manual says I need 20 feet and an inside chimney to support a draft, and I made mine a little longer. I didn't get much smoke roll out to begin with, but after I added the automatic window opener when the boiler is operating, it is unusual for me to get any smoke roll out, natural draft.

In addition to other comments, do you have sufficient fresh air intake to support a good draft? Many newer houses and also some older houses do not, especially if other exhaust fans (kitchen, bath), clothes dryer, air to air heat recover unit) are operating. Try opening a window or door to get a fresh air flow and see if that makes a difference in your draft.

Also, what's the vertical length of your stack/chimney. If I remember correctly, my manual says I need 20 feet and an inside chimney to support a draft, and I made mine a little longer. I didn't get much smoke roll out to begin with, but after I added the automatic window opener when the boiler is operating, it is unusual for me to get any smoke roll out, natural draft.
No fresh air problem. Garage has eve vents...plenty of air...lol....my inside pipe length is 6 ft of black pipe then into insulated pipe thru roof for another 6 feet.

i don't know that i'd be running that thing til i got the problem figured out. I don't think i'd get any sleep at night worrying about if i'd wake up dead in the morning

Ditch the magic heat! Not only do you have a short chimney, that magic heat is robbing draft. In all reality, if that furnace didn't have forced draft, I don't think it would burn well with that setup.

Also try loading when you have a coal bed. Loading with a burning load is only asking for trouble. Once the load is down to coals, there's going to be little to no smoke.

Also, don't assume that the draft is good if smoke exits the chimney. A good draft would allow you to load without any smoke spillage, especially with a bypass.

Last edited:
Yes - get rid of that thing in the pipe NOW.

While you're doing that, clean the entire chimney NOW.

I might have missed it in the vid - do you shut the forced draft fan off before opening the door? If you don't, you need to.

And your chimney might be (is likely) too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.