Wood Furnace Blower Mount Back or Side?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1parkpointer

Dec 3, 2007
Farmington NH
Have a small dilemma with location of a Blower on a wood Furnace. I recently got a Yukon-Eagle super jack wood furnace that will be added onto my oil-fired hot air system. I opted for an add on blower, rather than use the blower on my existing oil furnace. The furnace was ordered with a cut out on one side for mounting the blower. When I opened up the crate and began to assemble the furnace parts, I noticed that the back of the furnace also has an opening (covered up with a larger plate bolted to the back) and all of the mounting holes are pre-drilled, unlike the side panel, which simply came with the large blower opening and no pre-drilled mounting holes.
My question is, does anyone out there know of either a Big Jack or Super Jack wood furnace that has a blower attached to the back? If so, any comments of effective heat output verses the blower mounted on either side? I am just curious, as I can mount it either way.

Either way should be okay. If it has large opening on the sides, then I would think that is for series installation. Much more efficient in my eyes. If not back with the blower would also be okay. You installing parallel?

I will be setting the wood furnace up in parallel with hopes of running in dead of winter as stand alone. In theory, the plan would have me install a damper between the oil furnace opening and distribution plenum. Unfortunately, it would be require complete dismantling of the distribution plenum in order to accomplish that. Space being a big problem, so I've reconsidered the plan.
Now when the duct work is complete, I will have the wood hot air plumbed into the plenum above the oil hot air furnace. In the cold air return duct work, I will install a diverter damper. Hopefully, the cold air return for the oil furnace could be shut down and diverted to the wood furnace, completing the cycle.

Sounds like your on track. I have my usstove 1500 in series, and I have my propane furnace off. I just use the blower from the propane furnace to push the heat through the woodfurnaces air jacket, works well. We only need the LP when it gets around -10 at night, even then, the Lp only runs a few times throught the night. Good luck.

Thanks, I've decided to mount it on the side to give the flue pipe clean-out on the rear of the furnace more room. It would have dumped just above the cold air return plenum. At clean out times, it might have been messy. I need to look at something for a while from different viewpoints to see the plus and minus sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.