wood furnace modification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckaudio1

Nov 29, 2009
michigan
I aquired a US Stove Co hot shot 1400 series with two seasons of use on it for a trade....... so nothing into it money wise, so why not make it better? I removed the twin factory blowers rated at 6.8 amp for the pair and installed a lennox ecm variable speed blower motor ( full running cfm and pulling only .40 amp now.) I
'm not finished with the install yet as far as tying in the return air and do not have the humidifier pictured yet. For controls I'm using a lennox g61v 2-stage variable speed furnace control board and am using the cooling circuit. The fan limit is now converted to 24 volt and the humidifier powered by the 24 volt y/c coolong circuit. I'm running two stages of air speed with this setup and the ability to run low cfm constant fan.

Attachments

• stove1.jpg
    stove1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 466
  • stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 460
  • stove3.jpg
    stove3.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 447
This is what the stove looked like before I started the modifications. An actual plenum is on top now rather than just two round 7" pipes tying tino ductwork.

Attachments

• stove8.jpg
    stove8.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 465
Awesome Mod CK!

I have a Johnsons energy system furnace that looks just like it. I need to do the same thing. I have been complaining for the last two years how much those little inefficient blowers raises my electric bill.

Billy

Thanks Billy, I'll post some more pics as the progress continues plus some more inbetween pics that I left out. One nice thing about the new setup is that it is whisper quiet while running unlike the older twin ac blowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.