Wood Furnace on Main Floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the codes and well ventilated area for something like this. Also, is there any other way you can think of in order to hide the flue?

What are the codes and well ventilated area for something like this. Also, is there any other way you can think of in order to hide the flue?
I have a copy of the residential code book for Michigan. Your locality may be different. Your library should have the book available, or you should be able to find them published online.

As far as hiding the flue, build a chase with the required clearances. B Vent I *think* was two inches to combustables.

I apologize for changing my mind again. After contacting englander again they said that I will be okay to install the furnace on the 'main floor with an appropriate hearth of r value 1.5. This is the setup that I am going with let me know what you think.

At this point it will likely come down to how you can effectively get the amount of airflow that you need, ducted to the far parts of the house and back - without tearing your house apart and having it look not very attractive when all is said & done. That's all on your end.

For the new ductwork since I have high twelve foot ceiling, I am going to leave the ductwork outside of the walls in my new edition. It will sort of have that warehouse look to it. My question is that I need to then turn the 8 inch ductwork 90 degrees through a wall and about two feet away from this wall is the wall to my main house that I will cut a hole in and place a large vent there so it can heat that part of the house. The problem that I am having is that the duct work that will be exposed needs to make that 90 dgree turn into a wall that everyone will see, so I need to make clearances and make the ductwork going into the wall look nice once the drywall was up.

I was almost thinking of putting an 8 inch flue adapter that they use to have the flue go through the roof of the attic and mount it on the wall to give it a nice clean look. let me know what you think and if my explanation makes sense. Again I was going to use the through the wall bracket that is used for chimney's for the 8 inch hot air duct. I figure that if it is meant to be safe for hot flue temps it will be perfect for the warm air duct? Anyone see any problems with this setup and if there is code or clearance issues with this. However does the through the wall adapter allow me to go back to 8 inc again or does it get wider for a triple wall pipe?

Here is a pic of what I want to do.

Attachments

• Furnace Idea07182013_0000_782x600.jpg
    Furnace Idea07182013_0000_782x600.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.