Wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlmac27

Feb 9, 2014
Indiana
Hello everyone,I was posting about installing an insert and with your help I have scrapped that idea due to no masonry fireplace.
I contacted my insurance company and they said I could install a woodburning furnace in garage.I was shock to hear that,seems it's usually not allowed.
I live in a 1900sq ranch house.I really don't have the funds for a caddy or kuuma.I will be looking at the $1500-$2000 range.Any advice on some brands in that price range? Thanks....

Hello everyone,I was posting about installing an insert and with your help I have scrapped that idea due to no masonry fireplace.
I contacted my insurance company and they said I could install a woodburning furnace in garage.I was shock to hear that,seems it's usually not allowed.
I live in a 1900sq ranch house.I really don't have the funds for a caddy or kuuma.I will be looking at the $1500-$2000 range.Any advice on some brands in that price range? Thanks....
Try looking at the Daka or fire chief both built in the USA the fire chief is probably a little heavier built but the Daka works for me and is less expensive fairly decent on wood just make sure to use a baro on the install in my case it helped a lot on wood consumption. Just my two cents ;)

Thanks ajr,I have a guy who put a wood chuck in his house around the early 80's.He only had 2 fires in it all these years.said he would sell it for $500.You think the old "woodchucks" were made good?Cant find much info on them.
Or maybe I would be better off buying something more modern.

I also just got out of attic taking a picture of my pipe.Hopefully someone can tell me if this is safe for a woodfurnace.ill post what I got

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 213
Thanks ajr,I have a guy who put a wood chuck in his house around the early 80's.He only had 2 fires in it all these years.said he would sell it for $500.You think the old "woodchucks" were made good?Cant find much info on them.
Or maybe I would be better off buying something more modern.

I also just got out of attic taking a picture of my pipe.Hopefully someone can tell me if this is safe for a woodfurnace.ill post what I got
Woodchucks are known to be well built furnaces only 2 fires $500...unless its rusted out.(doubtful) id definitely take a look at it.

I love my Woodchuck. If I had found this site before I bought it ,,, I would have gone with a Yukon or maybe a Caddy. There was a dealer in my area 20-30 years ago that really pushed the woodchucks and there are still a lot out there burning today.

Reactions: jlmac27
I will be looking at the $1500-$2000 range.Any advice on some brands in that price range? Thanks....
Drolet Tundra/Heatmax

Reactions: jlmac27
Thanks for the replys guys.Anyone know anything about that pipe in the picture.Its galvanized on the out side and SS on the inside,double wall.

Not me - but I have never seen any chimney or flue pipe that was galvanized, even if there was insulation in between layers.

That's in your attic? Is it that same pipe all the way to the very top? Not something I've seen before - maybe others can chime in. Got any more pics - like of the top/cap, joints, and bottom of it?

It is made by fmi products.They have two rated pipes like mine,1700* and 2100*.nit sure which one my is made for.Its connected to a wood fireplace made by FMI.heres a couple more picks climbed up in attic again.This the only pipe I can see and it's in attic.same pipe all the way up maple.Wood chase comes out roof about 8 foot and cap is on top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 203
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 239
I'm also undecided if I am going to want to just put in a new chimney and leave fireplace one alone if that pipe is unsuitable for my wood furnace.Ir do I just tear it out and run up the right piping.But then I couldn't use my fireplace.decisions decisions....Also would one 90 on chimney mess up draft?It will be about 18 ft high.

My decision after much thought is to leave my fireplace chimney intact and run a seperate chimney straight out of garage roof for my wood chuck.
Can someone please direct me to some info on the best way to duct wood chuck I to my exsisting house furnace duct work?The wood chuck will be in garage so it's about 25 foot from house furnace.ive also read to feed heat supply off wood chuck it into cold air return of house furnace?and then I've heard the opposite and feed into heat supply of house furnace.Any help would be a appreciated!

You have commenced an adventure. And you might be asking too much from ordinary people, all volunteers, freely giving their time. You might do better talking to some local suppliers, dealers or HVAC contractors. Good luck.

Last edited:
I can't give any advice on duct work but I would definitely jump on that woodchuck for 500 bucks that's a good deal if it's in good shape. I have a model 4000 and it's awesome.

Yeah from the research I've done it looks like it's going to be an adventure.I am going to look at wood chuck here in a little while.I know it's from the 80's but with only 2 fires started in it and being in a dry basement it should be worth buying.

Well took a look at what I thought was going to be a woodchuck buts was a "leaders".It had paperwork and the one pamphlet is actually the woodchuck paperwork.The furnaces look quite a bit a like.was leaders made by woodchuck?Any info on the leaders stove?The firebox was clean and free of rust.Heres a couple pics of the two papers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 215
Status
Not open for further replies.