wood/gas cookstove flue...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unadilla

Jun 17, 2014
NY
I'm looking at installing an old dual-fuel wood/gas cookstove in my house. We heat with a woodstove so I am quite familiar with that particular animal, but a cookstove is something different. The cookstove has an oval outlet from the back. Most of the pictures I've seen of wood cookstoves in kitchens seem to either have the flue coming straight up out of the stove, or if its coming out of the back it immediately makes a 90deg bend to straight up. The stove would be up against an exterior wall, and I'll have to put in a metal chimney for it. Is there any reason not to have the thimble at the level of the stove outlet and just run straight through it horizontally (then make the bend to vert outstide)? I mean rather than have it exit the stove, bent to vert, come up a few feet, bent to horizontal and go through the thimble, then bend to vert again..

Some rise out of the stove makes a big difference in terms of draft. Additionally, I doubt you'd find an adapter capable of going from oval to a 90 degree bend (well, at least I haven't seen one that I recall)

That said, the oval is usually just a standard pipe squeezed down to fit the oval.

From a few friends that have had similar units, each were put out to "pasture" (the sap house) and left to finishing maple syrup duties only as they wound up pulling them out of their homes after finding out they had problems with finding parts to keep it propane safe / functional. Otherwise, if they could have found what they needed to keep the propane part of the stove up to snuff, they were still beautiful units and very well suited to a nice home.

That said, I'd make certain the propane part of the unit is 110% sound before worrying about the wood burning portion, assuming that is the intent of the install.

And again, if the propane part is good to go, it's important to make sure the firebox is well cleaned and sound so that money isn't spent to find out later that the unit is shot.

Good luck, and welcome to the site.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.