wood & gas in the same chase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedmike

Nov 18, 2006
I need to vertically vent a direct-vent gas fireplace in the same chase as a wood chimney. how far apart do the flues need to be and if the wood needs to be taller than the gas...then by how much. any help would be appreciated.

advancedmike said:
I need to vertically vent a direct-vent gas fireplace in the same chase as a wood chimney. how far apart do the flues need to be and if the wood needs to be taller than the gas...then by how much. any help would be appreciated.

There is no clearance issue p meaning as close as the two firestops allow them to be...also, the size and overhangs of the caps should be taken into account.

Yes, it would be a good idea for the wood to terminate higher.....say 8 inches or more in my experience.

more info is needed are you talking about putting a gas flue in the same flue as the fireplace? is it a masonry chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.