1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

wood gassifier for making maple syrup

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by emesine, Sep 5, 2011.

1. emesine

emesine Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    Most wood fired units to boil down maple sap to maple syrup are low tech and appear very inefficient. Basically, there is a pile of wood under the pan, and that's your heat source. I can't image they get more than 30-40% efficiency.

Is there a way to rig up a wood gassifier to boil maple sap? I am thinking running a hydronic system with oil instead of water. Run at ~275F. Pipe the hot oil through copper tubing coiled in pots to boil the syrup.

Has anyone ever considered this?

Andrew

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pybyr

pybyr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adamant, VT 05640
    There are woodchip-fired gasifiers for maple sugaring.
  3. ewdudley

ewdudley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cayuga County NY
    I'd say it would be more to the point to find out for sure whether the wood fired units you've seen are indeed inefficient, and if they are, attack the problem head-on and improve the combustion efficiency and the heat transfer efficiency.

The ones I've seen in the northeast would be pretty hard to improve on with all the preheat, economizer circuits, primary and secondary combustion control, insulated fireboxes, and very specialized systems for routing and controlling flue gas flows and temperatures.
  4. emesine

emesine Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    I am here in Indiana; not a lot of sugarbush operations around here. Do you know the brand of evaporator you saw in action that had good air control? It sounds like they have their act together.

Andrew
  5. canyon

canyon New Member

Loc:
    Homer, Alaska
    For efficient low tech check out rocket stoves (particularly rocket mass heater style). :)