Wood guessing game

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumber-Jack

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2008
Beautiful British Columbia
I've seen many threads where people are asking for identification of wood species simply by a pic of a single split of wood. Often the answers are all over the board, but that doesn't seem to stop many of those offering their answers from being certain their answers are correct, and of course, in the end, there seems to be no way of confirming who, if anybody, is correct.
Frankly, I find it hard to think that anybody could correctly identify wood, with any degree of certainty, by just looking at a single split. However I don't consider myself any sort of wood expert and perhaps I simply lack the skill and experience. So I thought I would test some of you experts out there with some wood of my own.
I have several known species of wood splits here, please play along and see if you can identify them from left to right.
Post your guesses below (if you dare) and I'll post the correct answers in a day or two.
Thanks in advance for your participation.

Wood.JPG

U onda wrong coast 4 me 2 id but i'll give a try.
1 I dunno.
2 Spruce - their are 1000's of different spruces. don't ask 4 the exact one here. DefinitLEE a conifer.
3 Larch pretty certain a conifer.
4 Silver maple ???
5 I dunno
6 red maple ???
Fresh cut rounds and logs are sure easier 2 id than splits.
Only one I'm pretty sure about is 2 .
4 and 6 I'm pretty sure are some type of maple.
I"M NOT EATIN' NUTTIN'!!!!!!!! %-P

I agree with #1 and#5 #6, same here your a long way from me and the trees I cut...

Wild guesses here;

1 Birch/Aspen
2 Spruce
3 Yellow Pine
4 Conifer of some sort
5 Maple
6 Cedar
???????????????????????

I'm no expert but i will guess for fun. I would not bet any money on any of these.
poplar
black spruce
white cedar
red oak
silver maple
black walnut

Um, yer in BC and yer hangin' out here?!?? Head to Whistler and leave the 'wood' id to the chick in the hot tub at the end of the day while ya share a bottle of Johnny Walker :coolsmirk:

Oh . . .BTW . . .how we know that YOU know the ID correctly??

The one on the botttom loaded E/W looks like varnished oak.
:)
Hope this helps.

Its all greek to me. No experience on the left coast. Besides I need to see a pile of it from different angles for best ID.

#1 silver maple #2 black spruce #3 black spruce #4 jack pine #5 silver maple#6 yellow birch...Most of us would do better in person ,but still a fun test!

(I made fire) I was going to say that (pergo) also, but I think its a saddle or piece of trim.

I gave up before I even looked at the pictures. There is no doubt that there is different wood there than what we have here.

I just thought you would have duplicates in the mix,I didn't think you would have 6 different species in B.C. ??.... that #2 could be Douglas fir???

Beetle-Kill said:
#1-4 pine, #5&6....pine, claro walnut, or bubinga. Hi, I-Lee.

WTPhaq is a bubinga??!!!
Is it a dance?
Don't make me call the ole lady! Sheez on the gold coast now , ID'n conifurs!

Jus' mess'in witch you! My wood ID skills range from pressure treated(green), to on fire, that's it. You da' man. :lol:

Beetle-Kill said:
Jus' mess'in witch you! My wood ID skills range from pressure treated(green), to on fire, that's it. You da' man. :lol:
K.

WTPhaq is bubinga?????
Is it wood or a cocktail with shine?
Cuz thats my guess,,,, a cocktail with shine and maybe peach and pineapple juice. MMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMM!

In all honesty, bubinga is a nasty "wood", more like a Juniper if I had to guess. Comes from Africa so I'm told. Only used for forend caps on wood rifle stocks. The wood dust is poisonous to breathe. Like cocabolo.

You mentioned "shine". Would'nt this make a great "expression" drink? Ya know, so awful you only serve it to a friend, to watch his/her "expression"? "I dare you, try a Bubinga, unless you squat to pee." - 151+, 1/4 shot of tobasco, whatever you can think of. Good times, for everyone but the recipient. :sick:

Thanks all for playing along so far.
It's been entertaining reading all the guess's so far. As you can see they are all over the board.
Other than the Pergo :roll: ,,,, Nobody has come very close to nailing them all yet, and I'd sure like to give somebody that chance, so I'm gone leave it at least one more full day before giving the answers away.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Um, yer in BC and yer hangin' out here?!?? Head to Whistler and leave the 'wood' id to the chick in the hot tub at the end of the day while ya share a bottle of Johnny Walker :coolsmirk:

Oh . . .BTW . . .how we know that YOU know the ID correctly??
I should probably be taking my wife out to Whistler for the weekend, she's still mad at me for posting her picture on my Avatar. :red:
Oh, and I guess you'll just have to trust me about knowing the the wood ID correctly,,,,,,,,, if you need something more substantial than that send me a postage paid envelope with your address on it and a $75 personal check and I'll have something notarized for you. ;-)

Tomorrow morning I'll post a hint about the wood that should make it significantly easier to guess. Ramsay is on to it a bit already.

Pass the Buginga

Carbon_Liberator said:
I've seen many threads where people are asking for identification of wood species simply by a pic of a single split of wood. Often the answers are all over the board, but that doesn't seem to stop many of those offering their answers from being certain their answers are correct, and of course, in the end, there seems to be no way of confirming who, if anybody, is correct.
Frankly, I find it hard to think that anybody could correctly identify wood, with any degree of certainty, by just looking at a single split. However I don't consider myself any sort of wood expert and perhaps I simply lack the skill and experience. So I thought I would test some of you experts out there with some wood of my own.
I have several known species of wood splits here, please play along and see if you can identify them from left to right.
Post your guesses below (if you dare) and I'll post the correct answers in a day or two.
Thanks in advance for your participation.

Wood.JPG

Maple, pine,popular,maple, oak, walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.