Wood guessing game

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK
The guess's seem to have petered. I held back a bit of information in an attempt to try and not make it too easy, I can see now that probably wasn't necessary. I'll try and make it as easy as possible now.
There are only three types of wood there, they are arranged in pairs left to right, so you can see the grain and the bark of each type of wood. Different angles.
In other words the two pieces to the left (grain) (bark) are from the same tree. The middle two pieces (grain) (bark) are from the same tree, the two pieces to the right are from the same tree (bark) (grain).
Wikipedia tells me the far right pair is species native to Eastern North America. "It grows mostly in riparian zones, from southern Ontario, west to southeast South Dakota, south to Georgia, northern Florida and southwest to central Texas. Isolated wild trees in the Upper Ottawa Valley may be an isolated native population or may have derived from planted trees."
The other two types of wood in the picture are in a genus found through out North America, although the exact species may only be native to the Pacific Northwest.

Feel free to revise you guess's based on this new information.

How about Ponderosa Pine, Maple & Black Walnut. I know that the one on the right has got to be Black Walnut!

Carbon_Liberator said:
I should probably be taking my wife out to Whistler for the weekend, she's still mad at me for posting her picture on my Avatar. :red:

Pass the Buginga

Ok, call me stewpid, but . . . your avitar?? I hope that's not your wife. But screw this whole wood Id thing, let's see your wife!! :cheese:

Ok, spruce,Douglas fir, Black walnut..........Whats with miss Johnny Walker wanting to see your wife? ..Is that black Label? How about Johnny Gold or Blue? buy that no money left for lift tickets

RAMSAY said:
Ok, spruce,Douglas fir, Black walnut..........
Congrats Ramsay, looks like you came the closest to getting them all. Tell me, how did you get the Douglas Fir if they don't have it out East?

Carbon,
I'll kiss your azz and call you the king if that last one is black walnut.
Black walnut it is not!

That 4th split is questionable as a softwood. But I've never seen dug fur either so eye won't argue that one.

interchangabLEE said:
Carbon,
Black walnut it is not!

That 4th split is questionable as a softwood. But I've never seen dug fur either so eye won't argue that one.
Well, like I said, I'm no expert. Perhaps it is a Red Maple like you suggested, but that leaves me with a big dilemma.
What the heck am I gona do with all these Red Maple nuts???

800px-Walnuts02.jpg

Maybe this explains the west coast version.
Juglans hindsii, the Hinds' Black Walnut, also called the Northern California Walnut, is a large tree (up to 60 feet tall) endemic to roughly circular area in California centered near Fresno and reaching the San Francisco Bay area. Some authorities (i.e. California Native Plant Society) describe this species as the subspecies Hindsii of the Southern California Black Walnut

The only black Walnut I have here are ones I planted, and they're only about 1" diameter so far. So I'm no help.

Everyone settle down, You all should know that every ones nuts look different...From the trees that is..I guessed the Douglas fir by the grain.I have framed a lot of houses with doug fir..Enough talk about nuts and wood, merry Christmas to all !!!

So, assuming that's BWalnut . . . am I the only one wondering why you dont' sell the logs and buy less expensive fuel??

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
So, assuming that's BWalnut . . . am I the only one wondering why you dont' sell the logs and buy less expensive fuel??

I may be in the minority here but before I see firewood, I see many, many carving blanks and perfectly good lumber....... then I remember what fuel costs are!

Werm said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

I may be in the minority here but before I see firewood, I see many, many carving blanks and perfectly good lumber....... then I remember what fuel costs are!

With black walnut we will check to see if anyone wants it first, because its not great firewood...Got one going to a cabinet maker this weekend.

Walnuts - yes! Black walnuts - nah uh. Ya darn near need a vice to crack black walnuts. As a matter of fact, many around here do just that. Not only that, but if you use black walnuts in a recipe calling for walnuts, ya better cut the quantity WAY back or your in for a surprise.

Carbon_Liberator said:
interchangabLEE said:
Carbon,
Black walnut it is not!

Well, like I said, I'm no expert. Perhaps it is a Red Maple like you suggested, but that leaves me with a big dilemma.

800px-Walnuts02.jpg

Those are NOT Black Walnuts. Too smooth and polished like. And you need Black Walnuts to make Moms famous refrigerator Christmas cookies.

Tree I.D. I suck, but, I'm a pretty good judge of nuts! Merry Christmas to all! Mo

mobetter said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
interchangabLEE said:
Carbon,
Black walnut it is not!

800px-Walnuts02.jpg

Those are NOT Black Walnuts. Too smooth and polished like. And you need Black Walnuts to make Moms famous refrigerator Christmas cookies.

Tree I.D. I suck, but, I'm a pretty good judge of nuts! Merry Christmas to all! Mo

Ahh..........What?

Actually the bulk of the straight part of the trunk of the walnut trees did go to a mill and the boards are now stacked in a friend's work shop, drying.
As for the nuts,,,, I said they were "Red Maple nuts", not black walnuts. Truth is, I didn't really ever have any of the nuts from the walnut tree in the picture you saw, I just scooped that nuts picture off the net ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Walnuts02.jpg ) an attempt to add some humor to the thread. :roll: ( I hope somebody got it???)

Anyway, it's a walnut tree for sure, (not a red maple), what we call a Black Walnut tree around here as opposed to the other varieties which we sometimes see, that do not handle our climate very well, and seldom survive long enough to get very big.
As I said, I did not get any of the nuts from the tree in the picture, but my neighbor has the same type of tree in his backyard and the squirrels pack the nuts all over the place, so out of curiosity I went out and picked up a few nut shells, and for those who still have doubt I placed them on the hearth, on top of the "Black Walnut" split, and snapped a picture.

blackwalnuts.JPG

Well done CO, rest assured the humor was received!

I like the randomly placed message.

interchangabLEE said:
Me thinx U have hickory!!!!! MayB shellnut hickory.

Check out the walnut bark in this link. Don't looky like yur woods bark.
http://www.donnan.com/firewood.htm

"MMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMM!"

Looks like some kind of Hickory Nut husk to me too!

Sorry guys, it's Walnut, not Hickory.
Might not be the exact strain of black walnut you got out East, but it's walnut.
I know it's walnut, the friend who owned the trees knows it's walnut, the guy at the mill knows it's walnut, and other friend who has the boards from the tree stacked in his shop knows it's walnut. All of us except the guy at the mill had a good look at the trees before we cut them down.
This thread definitely proved my point, (to me anyway) that it's practically impossible to tell what a piece of wood is (with any certainty) by looking at a picture of a split of wood on the computer screen. Not only can the grain and bark of many trees look very similar, but the growth and texture of the bark of many trees can change radically as the tree matures.
When all is said and done it's probably a lot easier to tell what a particular wood ISN'T, than what it IS.

The one thing I know . . .

Splitting wood with a chainsaw is for short beerbelly dudes who like to wear out chains and bars :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.