Wood guide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
paulgp602 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Firewood-measuring-guide_W0QQitemZ7743480839QQcategoryZ85915QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is handy looking. Do they work?

Kind of a cute idea. I never find logs laying perfectly for me to use the things but if you want some Northern Tool has them for the same price every day of the week.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200320749.htm

looks like a pain to put the saw into the case, and I'd probably break it. What about when your using the saw in close quarters, brush, a tangle of logs and limbs. Seems like a pain. Personally, I'm not that anal about how long they are. I'm gonna burn them, not build a work of art for a wood pile.

I use my chain saw blade as my guide..... 18" blade I cut each length the length of the blade. Consistant, quick and easy.

I have a piece of scrap cut to the max length and if i'm trying to make max length logs out of a certain tree, I just got alone with the 21" piece of scrap and throw chalk lines on the tree.

Otherwise though I don't worry about it. As long as I'm in the ball park of 21" i'm happy.

I use to be picky about log size...mainly because I had to (2 stoves taking 2 different lengths)...I would take out a tape measure and chalk off lengths on a newly felled tree...it did the job. but was too much fuss when I just needed to get the wood in the truck asap. After a good 5+ trips into the forest w/ a buddy one of three things will happen:

1. you'll get pretty good at eyeballing lengths
2. you'll stop caring to much about the difference between a 15" and an 18" log
3. you'll spend more time worrying about keeping your saw blade from touching the dirt that you'll forget about lengths
4. all of the above ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.