Wood Gun Steel nozzle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a pic of the ceramic nozzle for a woodgun? Does it have horizontal holes in it for secondary air? Or is it pretty much the same shape?

I tried looking on google images. Infinitymikes boiler is the second image. Avc's tractor made the cut as well but no pics of the nozzle I could find.

I consider my tractor to be a part of my Wood Gun. LOL

Nothing special about the Wood Gun nozzles. Just bricks with slots in them.

As Fred said, no secondary air in a Wood Gun.

ac

Anyone have a pic of the ceramic nozzle for a woodgun? Does it have horizontal holes in it for secondary air? Or is it pretty much the same shape?

I tried looking on google images. Infinitymikes boiler is the second image. Avc's tractor made the cut as well but no pics of the nozzle I could find.

Here ya go.....

Attachments

• Nozzle top.jpg
    Nozzle top.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Nozzle bottom.jpg
    Nozzle bottom.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 184

I tried looking on google images and didn't find either me or avc.:(
What did you type for a search?

That's pretty funny. There's actually several of my pictures in there. I think the one with the wood in the window is gasifiers.

I thought the kubota with The pallets of wood was yours?

The "ledge" appears to be the Achilles heel to the lower refractory, which is a bit pricey to replace. I think what AHS has done, is simply put a steel nozzle spanning the entire gap, from the curved refractory edges. This would essentially eliminate the ledges function (holding the center bricks), but it would probably also cause them to erode whatever is left rather quick. That wouldn't really matter if they weren't being used any more.

How about a pic?

ac
This is what I understand.
I got 2 yrs out of my first center bricks, my "shelf" is good, just thought that the steel might last longer. There was another "gunner" on here that flame cut some out of some heavy plate, I wonder how ther are working out? He had pics. and it was about a year ago/

Sorry it took so long to respond but I've been working 14 hour days and longer lately. Doesn't leave a lot of time for emails and the internet, lol. Anyway they were $45 each and the size is about 15-11/16" x 6" and 11-1/4" x 6". I'll try to post a drawing as soon as I get some a little time.

Well I guess I can't stretch the original nozzles any farther, too much hot coals falling thru them. Plan to replace this weekend. For anybody that has done it are there any don'ts involved. Seems a fairly simple drop in replacement but am wondering after 17 cords burned if the originals will be stubborn to come out?

Well I guess I can't stretch the original nozzles any farther, too much hot coals falling thru them. Plan to replace this weekend. For anybody that has done it are there any don'ts involved. Seems a fairly simple drop in replacement but am wondering after 17 cords burned if the originals will be stubborn to come out?
They should pull out fairly easy. Get or make a hook and pull them right out. Vacuum the ledge and drop the new ones in. If they bind, hand grind them on a concerete block or similar rough surface. They may have warped a little during firing. Don't force them.

You can pull the plug in the lower door and push up from the bottom. They should come out easy, the only thing holding them in might be some bound up ash.

17 cords? How many heating seasons is that? 3?
ac

You can pull the plug in the lower door and push up from the bottom. They should come out easy, the only thing holding them in might be some bound up ash.

17 cords? How many heating seasons is that? 3?
ac

About 3.5 seasons. Was hoping to go a full 4 but I'm having to clean ash/coals out of the lower refractory on an every other day basis now.

Can you take a few pictures of what they look like. To be able to see the deterioration.

Since the Mrs had to work last night I stayed home with the dogs and we all behaved ourselves, so no headache this morning :)
Decided to start on replacing the nozzle. Monitored the firebox all evening waiting for only coals in the box and then shut her down. Waited about an hour and started to clean out the box....still very warm in there and made mental note to not be so damn lazy and pick the off season to do this next time! Got it cleaned out except for some ash and used the hooks I made to try and pull up the nozzle. They were really wedged in there after 17 cords and I got nowhere. It was getting toward my bedtime so I decided to run oil last night hoping the firebox would cool down by morning. This was a good idea as the nozzle was only warm this morning compared to hot last night.

So, my first hour or so of 2013 was spent pushing from underneath the box, tugging from above the nozzle with the hooks and cursing at the nozzle. Was getting very little movement. Decided to use the handle of the cleaning tool by sticking it down the slots from above and pulling upwards. After awhile the nozzle was starting to break loose. Finally the front piece was starting to lift but it was coming out in pieces. That's how it went for the back piece too and I was down to a small section still lodged in against the back box wall. It took a lot of work to get that piece out as I was trying to not damage the ledge or the back wall. There is some deterioration on a small section of the ledge but overall it was in good condition. I have attached a pic of a section of the old nozzle and the new one in pace. The new brick stands about 1/6" above the sides so not sure if they made these a bit thicker than the originals.Nozzle deterioration.jpgFinally they are in.jpg

After about an hour the nozzle was completely out and final clean up began. I was glad to see that the new nozzle width fit in fine. Laid in the smaller back piece first but the larger front piece was a bit too long to just drop in so I used a file and took off a small amount at a time until it slid into the slot.

This past weekend we were at a flea market and I saw some hay hooks. Should have picked them up as I think the removal would have gone much better with something like that. The hooks I made did not have enough of a lip nor were the handle easy to grasp. For those of you that do this in the future but are not aware of how the nozzle rests on the ledge be aware that you only want to be pulling up in the very center of the nozzle brick so as to not catch any part of the ledge......and, don't due this in the middle of the heating season!!!!

Happy New Year to all!!

Great job!

Those new nozzles look just like the ones that came with my 180. The top surface is higher than the refractory cement on both sides. The extra thickness should make them last a bit longer. 17 cord/3 seasons doesn't sound too bad to me. Heck, the oil burner required $100 worth of maintenance annually if nothing even broke!

Happy New Year and happy Wood Gunning!

ac

Reactions: infinitymike
Wow they are really beat up! Unless that is the one that broke a bit.
What type of wood were you burning?
I heard and I think it was on this forum that its not a good idea to burn exclusively oak, unless it is super duper dry, because it has a very corrosive nature to it. It will eat up concrete and metal very quickly!
I hope that's not completely true since that is pretty much all I have stocked up for the next 2 years and since most of it isn't split yet I may be burning less then desirable moisture content. It's hard to get a couple three years ahead in my supply with only oak.

Glad to see things worked out good for you. Im glad to see you went with the hook. Pushing from beneath as was suggested could chip other areas of the refractory if struck by a tool.

I heard and I think it was on this forum that its not a good idea to burn exclusively oak, unless it is super duper dry, because it has a very corrosive nature to it. It will eat up concrete and metal very quickly!
I hope that's not completely true since that is pretty much all I have stocked up for the next 2 years and since most of it isn't split yet I may be burning less then desirable moisture content. It's hard to get a couple three years ahead in my supply with only oak.

I have the solution for you. Bring 1 year's supply of oak out to me. That will free up space for you to go find a year's supply of ash that will be ready next winter.

See, I'm always trying to help.

ac

I have the solution for you. Bring 1 year's supply of oak out to me. That will free up space for you to go find a year's supply of ash that will be ready next winter.

See, I'm always trying to help.

ac

I could tell from the minute we meet you we're a caring and helpful guy! I'm loading up the trailer right now! Amd will be heading out in a little while.

Anything for a fellow wood gunner :)

What parts did break were broken between the slots. That piece was fairly intact. You can see the reinforcement fibers in the cement. Been burning mainly maple, cherry and other "medium" hardwoods. I have oak on hand but not ready until next year. I now have 3 years to make my own either steel or cast and knowing my nature it'll be 2 years and 11 months until I get around to it.

Sorry it took so long to respond but I've been working 14 hour days and longer lately. Doesn't leave a lot of time for emails and the internet, lol. Anyway they were $45 each and the size is about 15-11/16" x 6" and 11-1/4" x 6". I'll try to post a drawing as soon as I get some a little time.

Digging this back up to the top.

68dodgeramman,

Any updates on the steel nozzles? Any pics installed?

ac

Status
Not open for further replies.