Wood Hauling Vehicle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
What do you guys have in the way of vehicles to haul wood?

I use my Chevy Aveo hatchback, rear seat folded down. And I carry a bowsaw, loppers, tarp, and rope at all times- Rope and dog blanket for tying pallets to the roof.. Looks like Sandford and Son, but it works.

njtomatoguy said:
What do you guys have in the way of vehicles to haul wood?

I use my Chevy Aveo hatchback, rear seat folded down. And I carry a bowsaw, loppers, tarp, and rope at all times- Rope and dog blanket for tying pallets to the roof.. Looks like Sandford and Son, but it works.

Oh man Kevin... Mr Tomato head has you beat!!! I thought Kevin had the ultimate stealth wood hauler... A dodge Neon. :)

I use a 2000 GMC Safari. I'm sure thinking of getting a trailer for it though.

I personally think the guys with pickups are cheating. That's way too easy. (maybe except for EJ...he makes up for it in sheer volume) Might as well just turn up the baseboard heat. :)

7,000 gvw U-Dump dump trailer that I haul with my pickup.

Craig

I went to the dealerto buy a hitch kit, and MFG warranty states that if any towing apparatus is installed, warranty is void- That sucks- but as soon as the warranty runs out, I want to get a 4x8 trailer, to keep the mess out of the car.

MALogger said:

Craig

The true sign of an amature. :)

1995 Geo Prizm wiht rear seat folded. Extra thick tarp in it and I can haul half a face cord.

The wood splinters stay forever. But the aroma makes up for it!!!!!!

Carpniels

I used to use a '64 Dodge pickup, rustbucket edition, but sold it when I needed a pickup for my business so now I use that, a Ford Ranger longbed. But I wish I'd kept the old Dodge. It was nice having a woodhauler that you don't have to worry about bumps and scratches and is built like a tank!

This is wood hauler #1. I use it the most. It's nice for getting in those tight places in the woods: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/quads/wood-hauler-01.jpg

This is wood hauler #2. I use it when I don't have to get in any tight spaces, or for hauling over the road: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/quads/wood-hauler-02.jpg

This is wood hauler #3. I don't use it for wood very much because with a hay rack behind it, it will haul more than I can process in one day anyway. Use it almost everyday for other chores though: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/quads/wood-hauler-03.jpg

78 chevy 1/2ton 4x4,350 a/t, no rust and gets close to 30mpg!

Attachments

• yellow1.JPG
    yellow1.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 618
carpniels said:
1995 Geo Prizm wiht rear seat folded. Extra thick tarp in it and I can haul half a face cord.

The wood splinters stay forever. But the aroma makes up for it!!!!!!

Carpniels

My wife had that exact car. We loved it. Great fuel economy and reliable. Wish we hadn't sold it now (job change and move).

Sold it to buy the wood hauler, a 2005 Sienna XLE mini-van. Fold the rear seats down and makes for easy loading of rounds (low height). Love the van.

Otherwise it's my 1995 4Runner and my brother's 1995 Ford Ranger.

Andre B. said:
Way too many cylinders and spark plugs. I suggest you trade that thing off on a nice green one. :)
Ha ha! We've got a few green ones too. It usually only runs on three, so not that many more than the green ones!

My wood hauler is also my primary vehicle - a 96 Ford Ranger 4WD shortbox. Holds about 1/3 of a cord, 2/5 if I'm pushing it. I filled it 15+ times last winter/spring, and I'm up to 3 loads this cycle. Being a small 4x4 has let me get at a lot of wood that a car or larger truck wouldn't be able to access.

Attachments

• truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 582
Warren said:
MALogger said:

Craig

The true sign of an amature. :)

Amateur??

If I were scrounging for my self I would just use my pickup but when I am delivering firewood to customers I can't stand unloading by hand. I have delivered many many cords and unloaded by hand but that was when I was younger.

Craig

1996 Ford F-150, 115,000 miles and just getting started

97 Ford Ranger hauls 1/3 cord plus golf clubs in tool bed box. Either choppin the course or wood.

1990 Dodge Dakota. Bought it new all ways starts. Does not do very well when it's wet 8ft bed and street tires.
No traction.

89 R model Mack with 20' bed and Prentice 120 log loader holds 5-6 cord and 96 Westen Star tri axle 24' bed and Prentice 120 holds 6-8 cord

87 chevy 1/2 ton rustbucket. Picked it up this summer for $500 and four bags of coffee. It's a "good runner." My wife won't let me park it at home, so it sits on the land where we will be building a house in a couple of years.

northwinds

I get about 1/5 to 1/4 of a cord in my Dodge Neon using the back seat and truck both covered with tarps.

Unfortunately I use my 2002 Nissan with the 6' bed, I also have a 10 year old Ford Taurus wagon, but the wife drives that, so no way am I haulin wood in it. I actually have a full load of Alder in the Nissan as we speak, the county was kind enough to section a downed tree from this past windstorm and i was able to scrounge it up. I was also lucky enough to scrounge 6 truck loads of maple that a guy had felled and sectioned from a tree service, I got it all at a friends house who owns a hyd. splitter, we split when we have the time, ( I will take pics of the finished product when done) The messed up part was when I was haulin a load of the maple , a big round must of shifted and put a big dent on my fender well inside my bed, it was Line-Xed but still dented the hump area

Note: the pic of the truck was from the previous owner, so that spread of land is not mine, and the truck has had a few mods since the pic was taken

Attachments

• truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 656
1990 Ford Ranger, extended cab, 208,000+ miles, 3.0L 6 cyl. Running fine lately, but not always like that. Hoping to have time to find a newer Ranger in the very near future, hubby was looking online tonight. The truck bed is 6 feet long and 4 feet wide, except it loses a little where the wheel humps are. We have a cap on it, but don't fill it very much over the sides of the bed, so that the wood doesn't come crashing through the back window at us in case of trouble, sudden braking, whatever. Plus when it is really full we have to worry about the weight. We sometimes overload it and the truck looks like it is going uphill. We figure we get about 1/4 of a cord per load, simply because many hunks of wood are long, so they aren't fit really tightly together. At the far front we are just flinging it in, so we figure it isn't stacked closely anything like in the woodpile. I see others estimate 1/3 cord per load in their Ranger, hard to say. Rangers come with several different bed lengths.

Our car is a tiny Honda Insight (a 2 seater hybrid.) We have never hauled any wood in it. Would have done so on Wed. but hubby had taken the tarp out. We joke about getting a dump truck, sometimes we make 3 trips in one day to a wood source. We get 20+ MPG with our truck, and are trying to avoid the 4WDs for the next purchase since their mileage is so much lower than the 2WDs. We need an extended cab since hubby is really tall and needs the extra space for sliding and leaning his seat back, and also for having other passengers, since our car is so little. This is our second Ranger, we had an almost identical 88, except red, but hubby trashed it in an accident.

1970 Ford F-350 dually, 12' dump box and can hold almost 3 cords, behind that usually is a 5x16 Dump Trailer that can hold around 3 cords aswell.... both are ran off of the trucks PTO. and for out of town deliveries I use a 1992 Chevy K2500 with a northern tool dump box conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.