Wood heats twice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
But when it's 90 out, that first heating is awful. I've managed to split about 1 round a day of my big oak before I'm drenched in sweat.

I can't wait till it cools off to like 40 so I can process that darned thing.

Today is cover wood day!

cover wood day?? it's like 90 out ;)

i'm moving the old pile that was in the shade to a new spot - & then i have to figure out how to take 3 inches off each split

Today and tomorrow are move and re-stack wood days here. I still have a pile of elm that was standing dead, which I cut this spring and have not stacked yet. Thankfully, it's supposed to be below 80 today and tomorrow.

Its been extremely dry here since the beginning of August. I've been working hard to take advantage and get all the standing and lying dead which is dry as a bone under cover. First rain of any kind here today in 3 weeks!, .10 of an inch. Forecast is for unsettled thru mid-week. I've got everything necessary undercover. There's always more to get... my tree service buddy leaves me a load of nice fresh green whatever here and there and that doesn't have to get split now or get undercover. Built about 10 cords worth of woodshed this summer so I'm just workin on fillin that with dead. Yup coverin it up, gettin on time.

I think saying it warms you twice is a bit of a low estimate. I cut and split usually on one day, then I stack it another, next it goes into the shed after drying out all summer and then I move a weeks worth down to the house. The way I sweat and by my count it's warming me four times before I even burn it!

Today is cover wood day!

Warren the Weatherman!! How did you know we were gonna get drenched up there at community day in Staatsburg? Called off the afternoon festivities, after setting up 2 tents for the lions club, cancelled out the fireworks display, poured in Staatsburg, here in Hyde Park, hardly anything till later! And my woods soaked!

Yeah, I hear ya. I didn't get around to covering mine today. Did other projects.

we took a lightning shot here and it took out one of my garage door openers. everything else seems fine. actually heard the surge protectors firing...

6 guys trying to hold down a canopy type "tent", and the wind just picked it up like a parachute! Blew the Colman stove right out and over, tents and debri flying all over the field near Dinsmore fire house, yet down by Vanderbuilt's sunny skies, no wind!!! Go figure!

Covered my wood piles last weekend and I'm glad I did - it's pouring here and has been all night. LeBoeuf creek is out of it's banks back in my woods already so there are going to be problems for folks downstream. It's been real dry here till now.

Stevebass4 said:
cover wood day?? it's like 90 out ;)

i'm moving the old pile that was in the shade to a new spot - & then i have to figure out how to take 3 inches off each split

I would trim and then move... What I had to do was trim a lot of my old pile (cut to a nominal 24") to a nominal 18" to fit the Encore I'll be getting. I tried two or three different things with a table saw and a radial arm saw, found them scary and very slow. I then built a box out of scrap wood about 3' high, 17" deep, and as wide as my chainsaw bar, with the 17" deep open side facing sideways. The top and sides are open but the back is a solid sheet of scrap plywood - Think of a small rack, holds 15-20 splits or so, with a back that keeps one end lined up.

I would fill the rack, and then just make a cut with the chainsaw down the front of it to trim all the splits to the desired length at once. This was easy and quite fast, my speed limit was basically how fast I could load and unload the rack. Every couple of batches I would have to stop and pick up all the cut off chunks - I've created a couple of big plywood and pallet boxes that I use to hold all my chunk wood (less than about 12") which fill up amazingly fast - figure I'll use it for shoulder season burns and kindling

I took the "To be cut" wood out of one bay in my woodshed, trimmed it, and restacked it in a different bay - worked well, after I figured out how to reconfigure the stacks - I went from 4 rows deep to 5, which gives me the same nominal capacity in the shed, but probably increases the actual a bit because I'm stacking tighter...

Gooserider

sounds great and pics of the rack you made?

Stevebass4 said:
sounds great and pics of the rack you made?

Not at present, will try to get some and post in the next few days. My rack is actually a bit funkier than described because of the stuff I had to build it with (I got a bunch of scrap wood and pallets recently, including a lot of packing box grade plywood, and I recycled what I had w/ minimum cutting and so forth...) but the basic principle is what matters.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.