Wood I.D. Help What In The World Is This Stuff??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
I friend wanted a tree taken down so he ask me. Real easy drop so I said Okay. I could not I.D. the tree by the bark and he had no idea what it was either. First thought Box Elder but it has alternate branching so that's out. I split some just to be able to get it into the truck and found a weird coloring ranging from redish to almost black. And it was very wet actually splashed "juice" a couple of times when I smacked the wedge. It split easily as well.

Here are pictures of the bark and split. I've never seen this type of coloring before. What in the world is it and is it worth the time and effort?? :gulp:

Attachments

• DSC_0016 (600x389).jpg
    DSC_0016 (600x389).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 447
  • DSC_0018 (600x407).jpg
    DSC_0018 (600x407).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC_0020 (384x600).jpg
    DSC_0020 (384x600).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 484
Dont know what it is, but thats cool!

The orange underbark reminds me of Linden (Boxwood)... It is 'spalted' microbes are working but not rotted badly.

If it is Lnden it will dry fast and very light, lighter than Siver Maple. I try not to bring it home if there is better wood handy. Silver Maple is slightly better.

If it's bucked I post a 'Free to a good home" sign and it is gone quickly.

Hope this helps,
Mike

I don't think that looks like Linden/Basswood. I think it is something uncommon. Could it be Kentucky Coffee Tree?

The Beagler said:
That is tulip poplar. Our state tree!

OMG! I'm a killer! :grrr: Well, now that I think about it, I'm no murderer I just put it out of it's misery.

Do they all look like that or does this one have Poplar aids???

Hey Beagler are you in Happy Jack Hollow?

That is a beautiful table top right there!

Hogwildz said:
That is a beautiful table top right there!

Most likely the better choice of uses for this stuff!! :p

It doesn't all look like that. That would be mineral from the soil or ground water. Quite common to see greens,purples, yellows, and white in tulip. There is no "spalting" in that wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.