Wood I.D. if you guys don't mind...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xikar

Feb 25, 2013
Connecticut
Good morning Fellas,

Was at my Father's house over the weekend and he had a small, half dead tree that he wanted me to take down. I have no clue what the hell this tree is! As I was cutting it, it almost had a medicinal sort of smell to it. As I was loading it I noticed it almost kind of smelled like beer... Took a couple pics of it for you guys. I will say it splits so damn easy and it's very light.

IMG_20130422_174742_zpsb792560a.jpg

IMG_20130422_174807_zps4d12e972.jpg

Looks like some sort of evergreen (pine). That's about as far as my softwood ID skills will take me.

Agree with Pine

Thats what I would had though if I didnt see the tree standing first. With the exception of the bark color, it just resembled any other oak or maple out there and there were some dead leaves still hanging off of it. I should go back and try to get a leaf pic.

Sasafrass. Medium output, pops and tosses flaming ember out on your carpet if you have the door open! !!!
White Oak behind it...maybe. ==c

I'm with Woody, Sasafrass

I guess you guys have spell check, too... ;lol

Maybe the very rare deciduous Pine?

Sassafras
Dig a few roots next time you're by the stump,
Makes a great tea & good for what ails you ;)

Sassy

I almost said sassafras but didn't think it grew up there. Learned something new.

The new small leaves are good to chew on too.

Used to make root beer until they determined it causes cancer...but what doesn't these days

Here's one sassy that has gone bad on our place. Wife does not want me to cut it but we'll see if it still has leaf this spring and go from there.

101_0757.JPG

I've been using dead Sass trunks as runners to stack on. It's supposed to be rot-resistant.

Not totally Woody but they will outlast most others. We've used them for fence posts, clothesline posts, etc with no preservatives and had good luck.

Sassafras. Nice smell, lightweight wood. Burns well, but only moderate BTUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.